Seiko 7T32 Movement

bobm12

Dear friends,

I've been looking at different Seikos 7T32 and they have appealed to me but the movement is not available (7T32). I'd love to restore one for my collection. Does anyone have any experience using an equivalent movement on those? Which is(are) it?

Thank you in advance,

Bob

Hi Bob, I had one of these for a couple of years and although a nice watch to look at, it's not the most reliable. I'm not alone with this assessment, one of my pals also had one which gave problems. In his case he handed it into a dealers and had a new movement fitted. This cost him the best part of £200 and it also failed after about eighteen months.

Back to mine. I bought it through EBay in need of repair, it stopped every day just as the date was changing. It turned out to be damaged tooth in the gearing that changes the date. I purchased the part from Cousins and completely stripped the movement before reassembly. Suffice to say that four stepper motors and lots of green plastic gears like sequins were a real challenge to get back together, especially when the half of the movement has to be snapped, not screwed, into place in one go.

I refinished the titanium case and strap and was well chuffed with the result. It was hardly off my wrist for the best part of two years then it started acting up. Time keeping was still excellent, but unfortunately the chronograph went wonky. Having worked on it once which was no real pleasure, and knowing that my pals watch was also knackered, it went back on EBay as spares or repairs.

I hope this helps you make up your mind.

If you must get a Seiko Quartz chronograph I can highly recommend one of these http://www.watcharama.com/skc020.htm

I bought one new back in the eighties and it has been running every day since! I'll take some pictures and post them in the near future.

• 1 year later...
On 2 January 2015 at 7:44 PM, Geo said:

bought one new back in the eighties and it has been running every day since! I'll take some pictures and post them in the near future.

Here's the photo I promised, better late than never.  Model No. 7a28-7020.  This is still the watch I would keep if I could only have one.  For style, build quality, time keeping and reliability, it's right up there.  It has never been stopped apart from the occasional battery change, and is still worn on a regular basis.  Here's a site worth a look:  https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/seiko-7a28-collectors-guide

image.jpeg

Hi Geo, actually that is a 7A38 since it has day and date windows. The 7A28 models don't have such complications.

The movement is also completely different from the 7Txx series, being mostly in metal and easier to service. Check this forum dedicated almost exclusively to the 7Axx family of watches (7A28 / 38 / 48):  www.seiko7a38.com

5 hours ago, GeorgeClarkson said:

Hi Geo, actually that is a 7A38 since it has day and date windows. The 7A28 models don't have such complications.

You're correct George, I should have put on my Optivisor when reading the inscription on the back. 

I know the movement is completely different, it is incredibly well made. :)

• Like 1