Press That Do Most Everything Advise

bobm12

Hi everyone,

I just got fed up with my cheapo press after I broke the second crystal -- thankfully not in a row -- and I was wondering if there is such a thing like a press that can do it all. Anyone with suggestions and information about such animal please come forward! :)

Thank you in advance,

Bob

It's a good idea to have both types as they are useful for different jobs.

I like the Robur press which is a screw down jobby but I also have a Bergeon lever style press which comes in very handy depending on what I am doing.

Thank you Mark,

I was looking at the horotec screw down model but I'm still undecided considering I'm used to the other type. Maybe I just add a Robur to my tools...It is so frustrating to break a perfectly good crystal and knowing the press is probably not the best -- and the culprit -- I'm prepared to upgrade.

Also this horotec has a regular size press and a little sibling: smaller identical twin! As if the decision wasn't difficult enough they add flavors!

Same problem as Bob, but I cant go to the expense of the Horotec/Robur/Bergeon items (the guvnor might kill me) but have found these instead:

post-80-0-77401300-1417035856.jpg post-80-0-24710900-1417035876.jpg

Also R&N Horological do a couple similar to the Robur here: http://www.rnhorological.co.uk/case_back_presses.htm

Comments and analysis much appreciated.

My thoughts precisely, Mark, I'm glad you confirmed it. I still have 2 choices, the lever type:

post-253-0-75891200-1417063239.jpg

and the screw type:

post-253-0-99290100-1417063252_thumb.jpg

Of course there is also this Witchi:

post-253-0-10662600-1417063450.jpg

Choices, choices...Any thoughts?

Roger, those looked like a cheaper version of a Horotec and might be an alternative. The reason I'm getting a new press is because the inexpensive ones might not be good performers. I'm having a hard time with mine (US$32)!

Picture this: A client comes with a nice watch, glass popped out but in good shape only needs to be pressed back on. The inexpensive press doesn't do a good job even though you take all the care in the world and the crystal cracks! Not a good thing for the hobby/business, client, and pocketbook even if the crystal is inexpensive! Therefore I'm upgrading. If my crystals now break it is solely my fault: one variable eliminated!...I'll charge it in my mother's card! :)

Bob

Those Horotec presses look a great piece of kit bob

I would have thought you would get better control with the Lever type, I have one of the cheapo screw down type mentioned in Blacklabs post and use it for stubborn case backs rather than crystals..

Darren