grease the gasket?

I am in the process of casing up a 2824 clone movement.  The case I am using has a screw down crown & case back.  I have a question regarding the case back gasket.

Once I get the case back gasket in place and am ready to screw on the case back, should I first apply some sort of grease to the gasket?  For some reason I think that is something I'm suppose to do, but I honestly don't know why I think that.

Hi      the answer is yes greasing the gasket makes a water/moisture tight seal keeping the water/ moisture out. all it needs is a smear on the gasket.  there are recommended greases for the job I use silicone grease rubbed on the fingers to warm it up then put it on the gasket had no problems with that over many years.

• Like 1

Hi      the answer is yes greasing the gasket makes a water/moisture tight seal keeping the water/ moisture out. all it needs is a smear on the gasket.  there are recommended greases for the job I use silicone grease rubbed on the fingers to warm it up then put it on the gasket had no problems with that over many years.

I do the same with Seiko silicone grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• The plate is OK, thanks. It seems the answer to my question is that this is a 'hack' & for me another reminder that in general, one won't be the first person to be tinkering with an old timepiece!. As you day, I've been fortunate to have gotten some good advice and, just as important, encouragement. I've been lucky then not to have the balance spring break as a result of my novice 'ministrations' - but I did remember to 'stroke' rather than bend per se. The clock is of sentimental value to the owner so I'm relieved to have now got it running to time with the support & encourage of forum members like yourself.
    • Thanks ww, its maybe not as much of a bodge trick that i thought it was. 
    • Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum. We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement.  It would be nice if you told us a little about yourself.
    • Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum. We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement.  Can we help with what you are trying to  figure out? 
    • In think you are effectively shortening the coil by shorting out damaged tracks. In my case as long as the continuity was good and the resistance not too greatly affected it should be ok .  One was on an era  movement,