Suggestions for PW keyless works repair

Delroyb

I recently picked up a nice silver cased PW with a Swiss movement recently, I liked the black dial and it was cheap. The movement has had a hard life but sprung into life once wound. The reason it was cheap is that stem and crown were missing. I now know why. The winding pinion and intermediate wheel are both quite worn, but the main problem is that the stud on which the intermediate wheel sits is almost worn completely away, meaning there is a lot of play in the wheel, allowing it to disengage from the winding pinion.

I have a number of ideas how to approach this, they are as follows.

Chuck the main plate in the lathe and centre on the stud, turn the stud back to true. Then turn up a bush for the intermediate wheel. Problem I can see here is that the wall thickness of the stud will be very thin.

Or, machine out the stud completely and make either a screw in or push fit/riveted replacement.

Any other ideas would be most welcome. The watch is not worth much, but I see this as an interesting challenge!

IMAG2707.jpg

IMAG2709.jpg

5 minutes ago, StuartBaker104 said:

I would be inclined to turn away about half of the stud then solder on a sleeve and turn back to the right size. Only the tiniest gap between the 2 parts is required for solder.

Make sure you thoroughly remove any flux afterwards as it can be corrosive

Ah, now there is an idea. That may just be the best approach.