How Many Hours To Find A Watch Part? ;)

I've had some fun since yesterday hunting down parts for a 1945 Bulova 10BAC movement which I've started looking into repairing/restoring. The third wheel was missing and the tension springs were too. Picked it up for a reasonably low price so there's room in the budget! Unfortunately, after looking up the darn thing in the 1952 bulova interchangeable parts catelog, it's one of those unique movements which doesn't share a lot of parts with any other movements so you literally must have either another 10BAC movement or a NOS supply, so I ended up locating the one and only Google findable #91 Upper C.S. Third Wheel on Ofrei.com which also had the tension springs in stock.

I'll also need a new crystal, sweep seconds hand, correct crown for this model and a nice strap. Appears to have been a real production model at the time but model name is unknown. Too small to be a military style watch though the dial still suggests an air navigation origin.

I spent hours yesterday running down options for this, and several other Bulova watches. It's fun in a way. Anyone else sinking ridiculous hours into parts finding?

Here's a complete one in excellent condition from http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1945-unknown-4206 :

CloseCopy.jpg?1334077232LargeMovement.jpg?1334077462

Let's say mine is a slightly less clean though the dial looks perfectly fine and the blued hands are intact and clean ;).

I have couple watches that have taken months to source parts for. I find this part of the hobby as much fun as building the movement. I'm about to put a TAG F1 chronograph back together shortly, it's taken eighteen months to source all the parts that I wanted to replace.

I've tended to try and source whole movements. I found an Enicar 1292 complete, working movement, for my Majex - much easier than sourcing the one part I needed. £26 from the US, plus minimal postage - and I have a spare movement... I've done the same with my Unitas 173 movement, for which only a replacement equivalent mainspring is available on Cousins.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Lots of rust on that hairspring Nev, would you even try to clean it up ?
    • How do you find the working distance from microscope lens to movement? Is it comfortable enough to get tools in?
    • Once you have the collet closer bits off, and the pulley off, there are two nuts on the spindle. These must be removed. There is a large nut in the back of the headstock with two holes, remove this with an appropriate wrench. The front large nut comes off too. The spindle now comes out- but wait- there's more! There is a spacer between the outer races of the bearings; the spindle will almost certainly come out "assembled" with both bearings and this spacer (it can actually come out front or back-ways with the large nuts off the headstock). You have to manage to press out the spindle from the rear bearing, get the spacer off, then remove the front bearing, now you can get to the key.   Imagining you get it all apart without causing any damage to the bearings, now the fun part starts. You must apply preload to the bearings, and this is a very tricky endeavor. Basically once you have the bearings back on, and are in the casting, you snug up the rear nut (one of the two) on the spindle, checking the play of the spindle with at least a 0.002mm reading indicator, until there is zero axial play, then just a little more, then snug up the second nut to lock things in place. Of course snugging up the second nut influences the preload, so you can go back and forth a few times to get it right. Too much preload and bearing life diminishes, too little, and you get poor performance, poor surface finishes, ball skidding, etc.   When I replaced the bearings in one of mine many years ago, I was surprised to find that the bearings were regular deep-groove bearings, but of a higher precision class than normal. I replaced with dimensionally identical angular contact bearings, class P4. In trying to set the preload, I just about lost my mind, so called Barden (the high precision arm of FAG bearing makers, and who made my new ones) and a nice engineer told me that the folks at Leinen were either crazy, or really good- he also said it's 100% A-OK to set up deep groove bearings with preload like this, but best is angular contact. In this bearing setup, the standard way to do it is to have a spacer between the outer races, and another between the inner races. Leinen has the former but not the latter, haha. His advice was to make an inner spacer. The trick is it has to be the exact same length as the outer spacer, within like a micron.  Then you just tighten everything up and the preload is set, because the bearings (the new ones) are ground in a way that they have proper preload in that situation. Easy. Sort of- if you have the means to make the other spacer!   Just to note- Schaublin does the preloading as Leinen did on these on their lathes using angular contact bearings. There is a procedure in the manual, where you tighten the nut until axial play is zero, then a certain number of degrees more. This works on their setup as the nut itself locks without a second nut, and they spent the time to figure it all out in a repeatable way.   I say all this not to scare you off from dismantling your headstock, just to give a heads-up what you're up against to get it back to where it was before.
    • Do, write a nice letter to Santa. I do all disassembly and assembly under the microscope. I consider it a necessity.
    • Yes Breguet overcoil, and A is OK, the damage is from B to the end. It should look lile this. The studd is fixed by the screw head into  the cut.