Hi All

Nigel

Hi

I am in Melbourne Australia, been here since 1964, previously lived in Slough UK.

I have admired Marks videos not only for the content, but the quality is amazing.  I know how difficult it can be as I have uploaded a number videos myself.  All related to some small cnc lathes I have.  Small as in 100mm chuck, not small as in watchmaking. 

By the way I was not brave enough with any of my videos to enable comments as sometimes it can be more trouble than it is worth.  BUT have you noticed how nice all the comments are about Mark's videos?  Yes, deservedly so, but is it just that folks with an interest in watches tend to be pleasant types.  Anyone else noticed this?

My collection, is more of a gathering of rather ordinary watches.  I will put photos and details up as I wear them.

For Christmas just gone, my wife had my Dad's old mechanical watch fitted with a new crystal and band.  By the way is it still called acrystal when it is plastic?  It is a watch my Dad always had, so I imagine it was purchased in the UK, probably in the late 1940s.  It is I believe referred to as military style and quite small by todays standards, it is a Keora brand mechanical watch and I have only ever seen one other on eBay and that was in the UK.

I bought a new watch today at a vintage sale place, it is a Seiko Quartz and it is a square shape, stainless steel with Seiko bracelet, nice watch and at $40, it just had to come home with me.

Another watch is a Tissot Seastar automatic, no day/date just a watch with a blue face and I quite like it.  It is engraved on the back and dated 1977.  It cost $35 at a garage sale.

I have an Edox Kingstar automatic with date from the late 1960s, purchased by myself when I was still on apprentice wages and it cost a couple of weeks wages at the time.

I have a Seiko Quartz bought for me by my wife for Christmas last year and I just love the design with small amounts of gold showing in the links of the bracelet.

Last is the watch I wear when working a GUESS Waterpro which I quite like, the reason I wear it to work is that it cost $10 at a garage sale brand new.  Although I like it, it would be no great financial loss if it was damaged.

Watches I would like to have, are a nice used Swatch, a vintage Timex, a vintage Smiths watch and a vintage Seiko 5 automatic

As you can see I have no pretensions about having a collection of watches and am quite happy with my ordinary gathering of watches.

Looking in the future to buy a few tools and a batch of non working watches to have a play.

Nigel

• Like 1

Hello Nigel,

Welcome to the forum,  I'm new here myself,  new members keep joining all the time and there will soon be a knowledgeable crowd able to answer most any question.

As you say Mark's video's are excellent and he is what I would call a real watch expert.

RogerC