Watch Will Not Wind Properly

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts. I am fairly new to the delights of mechanical watches.I have a wrist watch which won't wind correctly. I am keen to learn how to repair watches but realise i have so much to learn. With this watch when i try to wind it the hands go round even when the winding stem is not pulled out so something is presumably not engaging correctly.It does wind up at the same time but feels a bit stiff and this is obviousl not satisfactory. Can anyone advise what is wrong and what i should do please? Will i need to open the watch and take the winding mechanism apart. I have slightly undone the tiny screw to remove the winding stem and then replaced it but it still makes no difference. Please advise. Thanks, BRIAN.

Welcome to the forum Brian.

Regarding the problem that you are experiencing with your watch, I suggest that you give a bit more information, IE did it just go faulty with normal use, did you feel anything snap at any time, were you tinkering with it before the fault developed, and if so what were you doing, and post some pictures of the inside to give forum members a chance to give you good advice.

I bought the watch recently on ebay but the hour hand came off and was lying on the dial. Its an old record company wristwatch and i thought i would have to remove the winding stem to take the whole movement out to get to the dial. But having done that i realised i think i would have to take off front of watch which i did to put hand back on. Having done that then i had the problem with the winder. Not too sure as i am very new to watch repairs. A bit wary of trying to take off the dial to get to winding mechanism but presumably i will need to. Also new to these forums and technology so don't know how to post photos at present but will try in due course. Cheers. Brian.

I suspect you unwound the screw that retains the stem too far. The lever that operates the clutch wheel has probably unscrewed completely when you turned the screw. You will probably have to remove the movement from the case, and then remove the hands and dial to repair it.

Only turn the small screw that retains the stem one to one and a half turns when releasing a stem.

Edited by Geo

There is also an issue with some Chinese movements that will disconnect the lever and cause a similar problem just when pulling the crown in normal use -- I saw it documented somewhere but the exact cause or how it is "done" escapes me right now. In any case, I believe we will need to know what movement we are talking about to ascertain the real problem.

In addition, Geo has given the correct solution.

Hello MadMan. Geo and Bob have both mentioned what the problem could be. The setting lever screw (or pin), if unscrewed too much (or pushed in too hard in the case of a pin) will cause the setting plate to fall off or the spring to unlatch. If you take a picture with a digital camera you can attach it by going to "more reply options" when you answer and it will have an option for attaching picture. If this doesn't work them maybe letting us know the make, model caliber and year of the watch movement you are referring to. There is one thing I am curious about, you say you removed the "front" of the watch to replace the hand. Do you mean the crystal? If you removed the crystal how did you get it back in place? I ask this because I know from my own mistakes that pressure fitting a crystal with the movement in the case can cause problems...I have had stems broken because of the pressure of fitting a crystal. It doesn't sound like the stem is broken in your case but there is a problem with the clutch/setting mechanism.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

Hello JC. The watch is an old watch dating i would think no more than 1930s at latest and both the back and front of watch can be removed. I removed the front which comes off with the crystal still intact to replace the hour hand. At first i didn't realise you had to do this to gain access which is why i removed the winding stem thinking i would then be able to remove the whole movement to replace the hand as in later vintage watches. A bit nervous of trying to remove the dial to get to the winding mechanism to see if anything is detached etc there but i guess i will have to. Regarding attaching photos i don't have a digital camera but can i do the same using camera on my mobile that i am using to send this message. Afraid i am not good with all this technology!!!! Cheers, Brian.

Hello JC. The watch is an old watch dating i would think no more than 1930s at latest and both the back and front of watch can be removed. I removed the front which comes off with the crystal still intact to replace the hour hand. At first i didn't realise you had to do this to gain access which is why i removed the winding stem thinking i would then be able to remove the whole movement to replace the hand as in later vintage watches. A bit nervous of trying to remove the dial to get to the winding mechanism to see if anything is detached etc there but i guess i will have to. Regarding attaching photos i don't have a digital camera but can i do the same using camera on my mobile that i am using to send this message. Afraid i am not good with all this technology!!!! Cheers, Brian.

Hi Brian, Yes you can take a pic with your phone and attach, although i confess I have not done it that way. Maybe one of the other members will chime in with some suggestions for getting a pic onto your messages. Do you know the make of the watch?  Is it that one on your profile picture? You can do the same thing you did for the profile pic to attach a picture to the message. One things that is clear from your description of the problem is that the clutch is engaged in the setting position, this is part of what is called the Keyless Works and it is  under the dial. Now, in order to get under the dial you will certainly have to remove the hands but also access the dial screws which are usually located on the edges of the movement. Sometimes they are attached directly to the dial and you will see them. A word of caution: Do NOT begin to undo any screws unless you have the watch on a clean, well-lighted surface upon which you have placed a mat or some material that will not cause the tiny screws found in a watch to ricochet off into oblivion if (and when) you drop them because with a watch  as old as yours, that will be a problem. Also, do you have a movemnt holder? If not then take the watch to a repair shop and describe to them what the problem is. They should immediately suspect the Keyless work (clutch, setting plate, etc) 

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

Hello guys. The watch is a Record watch company with its swan logo which i think was taken over by Longines in the early 1960s. I think i have now resolved the problem i had. It seems to be engaging correctly now and winding ok and adjusts the hands when i pull the winding stem out a bit. I have tried to attach some photos to this post but i'm not sure if it will work. Fingers crossed! Many thanks for your advice and assistance. I love dabbling with old watch movements i get from ebay to see if i can get them going again. It all helps to gain experience in a fascinating hobby which i am new to. I will no doubt be posting on here in future as and when i have further questions to ask on future projects etc. Nice to benefit from your greater experience on these matters. Thanks one and all, Brian.

Hello guys. The watch is a Record watch company with its swan logo which i think was taken over by Longines in the early 1960s. I think i have now resolved the problem i had. It seems to be engaging correctly now and winding ok and adjusts the hands when i pull the winding stem out a bit. I have tried to attach some photos to this post but i'm not sure if it will work. Fingers crossed! Many thanks for your advice and assistance. I love dabbling with old watch movements i get from ebay to see if i can get them going again. It all helps to gain experience in a fascinating hobby which i am new to. I will no doubt be posting on here in future as and when i have further questions to ask on future projects etc. Nice to benefit from your greater experience on these matters. Thanks one and all, Brian.

post-372-14134692378796.jpg

post-372-14134693138476.jpg

post-372-14134694130269.jpg

post-372-14134694724794.jpg

post-372-14134695358444.jpg