I am trying to make an old Omega 265 watch which belonged to my father. I disassembled and cleaned it. Get the display repainted. I have assembled the watch and worked properly but every time I placed de cristal ring the watch stopped. Trying to fix this the escape wheel lost a pivot (due to misshandle, my fault). It was hard to get another escape wheel, but I succeded in this. I will get the spare part on thursday.

The trouble is that manipulating the watch the hairspring bent a little. I have seen the hairsping tutorials and tryed to fix the hairspring curve, but it seems to be a very difficult task. I did not get the hairspring off the balance wheel (I have no experience using the stake tool).

Do you have any advise about this topic?.

Thank you very much for the extremely valuable information you have published. You tutorial videos are amazing.

Hi Hector,

Welcome to the forum. Please, post a picture so we can see the ring and how it attaches to the watch. As far as the hairspring, it is better to remove it completely from the wheel to work on it. I worked on one with the wheel attached and I think I was able to fix it just by pure luck. Removing it is easy, putting it back without a staking tool might not be that easy.

I have a staking tool. It belonged tu my uncle and thereafter to my father. But I have never used it. Is it possible that the very soft spring that supports the hour wheel under the dial has stopped the watch when the ring pressed the dial down?.

Here is the cristal ring

57c7e3li.jpg

Sorry about picture quality but I only have a web cam.

I was unable to take a good picture of the balance wheel and the hairspring. I will try to get another kind of cam.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Hello Hector,

Maybe the hands aren't seated properly like Geo says. Also, take the movement out of the case before trying to place the crystal back on after you repair the broken escape wheel pivot. In this way the movement is not damaged if something requires more pressure  than normal to place the crystal. The dome of the crystal should be more than enough to clear the hands UNLESS they aren't seated properly or the movement isn't sitting properly in the case to begin with. Are you sure some other pivot wasn't damaged when you pressed the crystal in? I am relatively new to watchmaking (and I'm studying molecular medicine, so go figure), but I have learned from practice, trial and error and more error!

JC

To place the cristal ring in this watch is necesary to have the movement in the box, as the dial seats over de upper part of it. The escape wheel pivot has broken due misshandling I suppose. while cleaning it with rodico similar puty. I will receive the new escape wheel on thursday and I will have to find some way to repair the hairspring first. I hope to be able to publish some picture about the job. Thank you very much for your advise. I will check the hands clearance in the cristal dome.

Prior to test the movement again, I have checked that the hands move freely inside the cristal dome. They were moving properly with the stem. Is there some detail that told me about the soft spring over the hour wheel. When I have dismounted the dial after check, this spring was not en the same shape than before. It looked like something has pressed it. Anyway, I need to re shape the hairspring and get the escape wheel to go forward again. I think I will re do the watch cleaning.