Seiko 6R15 Movement Servicing Recommendations

Greetings and Happy July 4th, 

I am a brand new member of this Forum and found many of the articles and threads incredibly useful and enjoyable.   As JDM had previously posted a thread on the tear down and servicing of a Seiko 6R15 movement,   I would like to know if anyone on the Forum would be willing to refer me to a US based watchmaker that would take on a Seiko 6R15 movement service. 

My case in point:  I just picked up a used Seiko SARB059 on a well known sales corner which I've long sought after.  My initial timing analysis of the movement (and I am not a watchmaker by any stretch) indicates that within the first 15 hours or so after full winding and setting,  it keeps great time to within ~ +2-3 sec.   However,  after 24 hours,  the movement gains precipitous time, perhaps 15-20 seconds, and then if you leave it sit, it will gain time very rapidly.   I have no idea if the movement was ever serviced,  but I would tend to say it has not.  The watch dates from about 2011.   I do not have a Timegrapher machine,  but perhaps the mainspring unit has had it.  I'm sure there's more to it than that,  of course.   

In any event,   if anyone knows of a reputable person that could service my Seiko,  I would be most appreciative.  Attached is a mediocre phone pic of the SarB059. 

Best regards, 

Frank  

20180704_082928.jpg

Your watch has a nominal power reserve of 50 hours. It is normal and expected that accuracy (isochronism) decays after about one half of the power has gone. Which means that if accuracy is important to you, you'll have to wear it every day in an active lifestyle, or keep it wound otherwise.

That being said, I wouldn't rush to service a Seiko after only 7 years, at least not before seeing a timegrapher pictures. Also consider that servicing a watch can be $200 - 250 easily in the USA. A brand new mov.t (not that you need one at all) is one half of that.

Thanks JDM! 

I know you can purchase a new 6R15 for about $140-150. if you search hard enough, however,  I would like to keep the original movement in the watch.  

Will give it more thought as to repair or buy a replacement movement. 

Still looking for good watchmaker recommendations in any event. 

Cheers,

Frank

As mentioned above, you absolutely do not need a new movement, or repair. If it needs service can be said only after looking at the timegrapher,  but for sure it needs to be kept wound.

The new mov.t cost I mentioned was just to put things in perspective for when you go to Seiko USA or other qualified professional and are asked $200 for the work.