A2824-2 Running Fast When Fully Wound

Hi,

I have a watch with a A2824-2 movement that has an issue where it runs extremely fast when it is fully wound. I noticed that that when the watch is fully wound, and you shake the watch to get the rotor to continue to wind it, it starts to make a different clicking noise for a few moments then returns to normal. This noise is definitely the movement itself sounding different and not just the rotor spinning around. When worn on the wrist in this way the watch can easily gain three or more minutes a day. Prior to this happening the watch used to keep near perfect time.

I know pretty much nothing about watch movements, but I figured it's easy enough to take the case back off and remove the rotor, just to see if it's causing the issue. Since doing this, the watch has been keeping great time again, so I'm guessing the issues I'm having are in some way related to the rotor overwinding the watch.

Does anyone know what might be causing this issue and if it would be possible to fix it? 

Thanks a lot.

It is possible that the overwind slipping clutch  on the outer coil of the mainspring in the going barrel is not slipping when the mainspring is fully wound

by the rotor. This would cause overbanking hence your gain. If this is the case then see to it as it could damage the impulse jewel etc. Hope this helps, Mike the old jobber. 

Edited by ecodec
more info

4 hours ago, ecodec said:

It is possible that the overwind slipping clutch  on the outer coil of the mainspring in the going barrel is not slipping when the mainspring is fully wound

by the rotor. This would cause overbanking hence your gain. If this is the case then see to it as it could damage the impulse jewel etc. Hope this helps, Mike the old jobber. 

Thanks for the response. Would this be something myself (a total novice) could attempt to fix? I'm guessing that getting a professional to service it would be an uneconomic approach given the small value of the movement.

I have a link to the video below which may be the problem you have which is Rebanking Often confused with the term overbanking. This is something totally different. So listen to the very beginning of the video does that sound familiar?

Then what is the condition of this watch? Like is this watch brand-new for instance or have you had it for a while when was the last time it was serviced Or basically how old is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcqrb3_vin8

33 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I have a link to the video below which may be the problem you have which is Rebanking Often confused with the term overbanking. This is something totally different. So listen to the very beginning of the video does that sound familiar?

Then what is the condition of this watch? Like is this watch brand-new for instance or have you had it for a while when was the last time it was serviced Or basically how old is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcqrb3_vin8

Not sure if it sounds like that but it's hard to tell, I'll put the rotor back in and have another listen.

The watch is about three months old.

16 hours ago, BlueBlack12369 said:

Thanks for the response. Would this be something myself (a total novice) could attempt to fix? I'm guessing that getting a professional to service it would be an uneconomic approach given the small value of the movement.

16 hours ago, BlueBlack12369 said:

You would need to dissemble  the movement and remove the going barrel. Remove the  arbor plate and if the brake spring slips too late then the balance could suffer from what I call rebound  (some people used to use the term overmotion) You would need to check the internal barrel wall for smoothness and then ideally fit a new mainspring. We could call the problem this and that and go on about it for hours but I think your problem lies in this area. This is not a job for a novice. I may mention that I am not a Watchmaker but just a Jobber Fixer. I hope that this has been helpful and perhaps one of the experts on this forum can give a more precise answer to the problem.

If the watches only three months old it should have a warranty providing you purchased it new?

Then this really isn't a novice repair. You have to disassemble a sizable part of the watch. Which means you have to have watchmakers tools including a main spring Winder if you want to put the old spring back in. Otherwise I would get a new mainspring. Then you need special grease to put in the mainspring barrel when you put the new spring in. Then it be really nice if you in a timing machine so we can properly diagnose the problem anyway.

As to whether you should take it to a professional it just depends upon whether you want to spend the money or not.

ETA 2824-2.pdf

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive answers guys.

Looks like it's obvious that it isn't something I can deal with right now, think I'll just either live with it as a manually wound watch or maybe try something silly like take a dremel to the rotor so although the problem will still be there it wont be as dramatic. If I get sick of it I'll just drop a new movement in since they are cheap enough for it to not matter anyway. Put it together myself so no warranty to speak of.

Thanks again.