Tavannes Octagonal Watch Weird Hallmark

Hi,

I have, rather tired, watch with no brand on the face. The case is octagonal and in the case and on the movement the brand

is Tavannes Watch C2. My problem is that on the case (which looks and feels solid gold) there is a mark

in an oval which might look like 15C (15 carat?). I've never seen nor heard before about 15 karat gold cases. There are some

additional marks to the left and right of the oval but they are illegible.

The case with acrylic weights 11.08g (did not want to remove the glass yet). The question is: is this a special gold mix or should it be, say treated

as a 14 carat watch.

The movement is 29.5mm dia. Unfortunately the porcelain face has hairline crack going 5:30 to 10 and I am not sure

if I can find replacement but that is another story.

I do not know that much about watches so would any of you, learned friends, comment in this 15C stamp? Is this gold at all?

Thanks

regards

ps

Poor camera <=> poor pictures but I hope they will help.

post-335-0-99121100-1417259418_thumb.png

post-335-0-03842600-1417259453_thumb.png

post-335-0-94461600-1417259783_thumb.png

If you can get a picture in closer and greater detail, then I can probably help you to ascertain whether it's gold or gold-filled (plated). Imported Swiss gold and silver items have different hallmarks from UK ones, but there's usually an import mark of some sort. I can't make out much from the pic.

Now, I got little better picture so even I could see better but the case is badly warn and scratched.

I now can recognise a Squirels on both sides of the oval and, correct me if I am wrong, it might be Swiss watch hallmark for 585 gold

so what the 15C does there?

There are the larger (left) and smaller (right) stamps of a Squirel. In the oval (small oval) I can still only see partial '1' (the middle missing)

'5' is fairly visible and I think partial 'C'. There is some partial circle above the oval and similar on the left lower.

Does not make any sense. The top side on the octagon is warn and to the left is a shade on the corner - not a different color so I think

it rather is solid and not filled.

I also attached the pictures of the Swiss Squirels I found but I am sure you've seen them before.

Thanks for helping me with this mystery :-)

Z

ps

I just found that there was British 15 carat Gold up until 1932 used in watches for the extra yellowness.

All is very interesting.

Thanks

Regards

post-335-0-51751700-1417278154_thumb.jpg

post-335-0-36448800-1417278848_thumb.jpg