Sticky thread for beginners tools in tool forum?

weegaz22

Was searching for beginner tools for watch servicing and repair, and from what i can see the forum search doesn't allow you to choose specific forums so it just doing a general search of the entire site making it a bit more difficult for you to narrow stuff down, so was wondering if i could make a small suggestion and suggest that a "sticky" thread could be made by some of the more experienced members collaborating and having it stuck to top of the top of the tool forum listing tools that a beginner would require for doing the basics of strip and repair/service, would probably also stop threads like the one i'm kind of looking for being asked repeatedly.

as I'm a "noob" when it comes to this stuff i don't really know what brands are the bottom of the barrel and to be avoided, whats mid level and/or professional grade gear etc

I am tempted by some of the cheap kits on ebay, but i do realise that i will probably end up replacing some if not a good majority of it over time, but everyone's got to start somewhere right?

so what would you class as the "essentials", good screwdrivers and tweezers i would imagine are probably first items that you want to avoid cheaping out on, but what else? 

thanks in advance guys

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Start using the search function and if you still have questions post'em.

this is my point,  i  am using the search, if i search "beginners tools" it brings up this thread ONLY, if i search for "tweezers" it brings up 1000+ threads with page upon page of people saying "a good set of tweezers"....I'm a "Beginner", how am i supposed to know whats a good brand/set and what is a crap set? same goes for screwdrivers etc

See my point? I'm not wanting to be spoonfed info here but the search options on the site aren't that great for finding the info you need, you cant target specific forums like the tools one only,  hence why I'm saying that it's probably not too much effort to have a sticky thread started that all the experienced members can pile in on with regards to tools you should start with,  it also gives guys an excuse to show off their own tools, and what bloke doesn't like doing that? lol 

so on that note, whats a good set of tweezers and screwdrivers to start with?

Cheers in advance

Gary

You can refine search (including restricting to a section only) with the "advanced" button that appears clicking on the grey filed left of input. There are many, many threads on this subject already.

Personally I'm happy with Anchor drivers and Vetus tweezers, both are very economical. In the end it's not a big deal.

25 minutes ago, jdm said:

You can refine search (including restricting to a section only) with the "advanced" button that appears clicking on the grey filed left of input. There are many, many threads on this subject already.

Personally I'm happy with Anchor drivers and Vetus tweezers, both are very economical. In the end it's not a big deal.

Yes i already looked in advanced? can't see an option for the separate forums??

Cheers I'll have a look for those on eBay

search.jpg