Smith - From Cheltenham To Essex

Some time ago, I read an interesting post on Robert Loomes "Made In England" watches. I was idly looking at a Loomes catalogue on the net recently, aware that his movements are basically NOS Smiths movements. His watches cost between £7,000 and £16,000 depending on this and that - mainly whether they're rose-gold or not - whereas a Smiths watch today can cost a fraction of that. Just for fun, I took a screenshot of the movement from his "Robin" range and popped it next to a photo of my grandad's BR presentation watch ("De Luxe" movement) from 1965. So - Smith's owners everywhere - should we get out our engraving tools and get scribing... smile.png

Smith-Loomes.jpg

Spooky! I was just looking at that Robert Loomes movement yesterday, there is very little difference between yours and it.

Apart from the engraving and the touching up of the different parts - no difference whatsoever. That's because Loomes discovered a hoard of NOS Smiths movements in Holland or somewhere like that, bought them to England and proceeded to found his "Made In England" business on the back of tarting them up.

It's interesting, isn't it? Note how the original movement engraving - number of jewels, Made in England, serial number - has all been polished away to be replaced by Loomes's own signature and his version of "Made In England". The movement has also been decreased in diameter - take a look at the space between the bridge screws and the edge. I wonder if he's increased the number of jewels as part of the mod - doubt it - and it looks as though the balance wheel is the plain, unweighted version as well.

Edited by WillFly

it looks as though the balance wheel is the plain, unweighted version as well.[/size]

I think the balance does have screws. The movement appears to be running and the screws are a blur just outside the diameter of the wheel.

Yes - as you say - a blurred balance. In any case, in spite of my slight cynicism, I can't see them using a plain old "Empire"-type movement in a watch of this price!

Incidentally, did I read somewhere that one of the Jaeger-Le-Coultre watchmakers - someone called Lenoir -  acted as a consultant or director of Smiths when they were refining their movements upwards? The double screws on the balance cock remind me of a J L-C.

Edited by WillFly

I worked on these for Robert in Stamford for a while.

It was mind numbing, but all the folks at Robert Loomes are fantastic. In particular, Craig is an exceptional watchmaker and I can say that a huge amount of man hours went into the build of the Robin. I know Don knows what I am talking about.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should it not have been the Loomes Lovick then!

I like that - rolls off the tongue.

"Ooh - nice watch - what is it?"

"Oh, it's a Loomes-Lovick."

"Very sweet!"

Edited by WillFly