Second Hand Moves, Minute Hand Doesn't... for ~10 Minutes

SethL

I have a rather odd issue on a vintage watch I purchased (Talis). It sets fine, winds fine, and runs. However, only the second hand runs for the first ~10 minutes or so after setting. Then the minute & hour hand kick in and it keeps good time for a long while (albeit 10 minutes slow). My best guess is a loose cannon pinion, but it seems odd that it would only be loose for a little bit, and only after setting. I've taken the pinion off, tried to clean any excess oil (none seen), but the issue remains.

My next course of action is a full clean and oil, but wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or something else I should be looking at.

Many thanks,
Seth

Does the watch set properly? If it's loose and difficult to set I'd look at the cannon pinion.

had a loose cannon pinion on a movement and it was behaving much the same way as you describe so I think that may be the issue. If so, you have to tighten it. I think there are videos covering this procedure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Folkvisor said:

Does the watch set properly? If it's loose and difficult to set I'd look at the cannon pinion.

had a loose cannon pinion on a movement and it was behaving much the same way as you describe so I think that may be the issue. If so, you have to tighten it. I think there are videos covering this procedure.

It sets just fine. Easier than most of my watches, but not overly loose.

But I'm guessing it's a loose cannon pinion, too. Probably going to disassemble and clean, because I need to anyways, and also check for anything else odd. If after that it's doing the same thing, I guess I'm going to learn how to tighten a cannon pinion. Will update here with results.

Thanks all.