UG 219

UNIVERSAL GENEVE movement 219.  Built in the 40's.  My wife was given a beautiful 18 caret gold watch(the case is actually 22-24 carets) from her grandmother.  I am attempting to repair it and my question as a hobbyist is:  Are there other movements with basically interchangeable parts?  It is very difficult getting  a healthy hairspring-balance wheel with a balance staff in good working order..I have watched Mark's excellent videos on the subject of repairing this area of the watch but frankly it's a little beyond my level of experience.  Most of the movements on ebay have bent hairsprings or broken balance staffs.   I was thinking I could expand my search if there was a generic or ETA movement somewhere.  Thanks, Jim 

From : eBay.co.uk.   Just ordered a "balance complete" for the Universal Geneva 219.  So hopefully I can surprise my wife.  One more question:  the bank is linked 18 caret gold and I need a few more links.  It doesn't matter if it's gold plated or not.  Maybe it will be in the Bestfit catalogue I just ordered?  Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again

• jdm changed the title to UG 219

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• @JohnR725 has pointed out many times that the Swiss don't care about amplitude, the timekeeping is the most important.  Give yourself a  pat on the back, great beat error and timekeeping, nothing to be disappointed about. 
    • I'm bothered but I agree he's a busy man and I don't want to bother him.  In the meantime, we really do need to have other ways of contacting each other  
    • This is as complicated as epilame, too many unknowns. The life expectancy in the UK is circa 80, so most people from 1944 or earlier are dead.  Assume they had children at circa 20, they died in 2004. Their children started selling 1944 watches in 2004, so pre-1944 watches must be getting more rare.   It doesn't work though because as you stated some were sold as tat, but since watch prices have increased people have decided to sell when they may not of done in the past. 
    • I was wondering whether anyone could assist with some questions I have about my latest acquisition, which is a two train ‘Bravingtons Renown’ mantel clock - Pics attached I have done some reading about Bravingtons and believe they sourced movements from various suppliers, so I wondered whether anyone recognises this one. I have stripped and cleaned the movement and the clock is now running well, but there are a couple of dodgy brass springs that I would like to replace. I haven’t found anything suitable searching the internet so I wondered does anyone know of a supplier that might help. Last question is about the veneer on the case, it is generally in reasonable condition but there are a couple of patches on the top where the veneer has lifted. So far, I have tried to reactivate the existing adhesive by heating from below and above with a hair drier, then clamping for a day or two. It has improved slightly but the bulge is still visible. I’d be grateful for any advice if anyone has dealt with this sort of repair before.
    • Hi some pictures o& the movement and case would be appreciated so we can ascertain what the problem is you are having in fitting the movement.   Thank you.