Watches With A Skeleton Movement - Your Opinions?

I've frequently come across watches with skeleton movements - some original and some skeletonised - and, on the whole, am not impressed with them. They initially look very intricate and clever - quite eye-catching, even - but very often their cleverness mitigates against actually being able to tell the time easily! So, on the whole, they don't do it for me.

But am I just a mouldy old, traditionalist fig... I'd be interested in other opinions...

• Like 1

Yes, me too. I find they are mostly for looks rather than telling time, however I saw one once where there were actual numbers clearly marked as part of the glass (if I remember correctly) that approached, mind me, approached both the utilitarian function and the aesthetical fairly well. As years has gone by and my eye sight has changed (not for the better though) I tend to favor more and more "traditional" made watches....even those with eyes that tell you the month, day and date although nice to look at are becoming a pain to decipher!

But then, my kids used to play with the old Nintendo with the tiny graphics and "action characters" that I couldn't even see...and back then my vision was perfect!

Yes Will you are just a mouldy old traditionalist, then so am I almost.

Like Robert, my old eyes ain't what they used to be. I like a clear to read dial with good contrast between hands and dial.

Regarding the skeletonised movement, I would like it on the back of the watch only and visible through a display back.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I’m new to the forum. I’ve been wearing watches for decades but only in the past two or three years became particularly interested in watches when I found out that automatic watches exist that don’t need batteries. Before that I had always had a simple quartz watch, which worked fine, but once I learned about mechanical watches, I became a lot more interested in the mechanics of how they work and just find the whole way they function very intriguing.   I started collecting mechanical watches two or three years ago and have several that I like wearing. Until recently that was as far as my interest went.   Then about a month ago a friends quartz watch stopped running and changing the battery didn’t fix it. I decided to see how hard it’d be to fix, so I looked at the movement, found it was a Ronda 762 which I could buy new for $10. I ordered two assuming I might break one of them and decided to try and swap out the broken movement with a new one. I didn’t have the right tools but I managed to swap the movements and get the watch working again. It was really cool to swap the dial and hands and see how the watch worked.   Fast forward now and I have a tag heuer aquaracer watch that I got as a gift, and it’s new but running +10sec /day. I asked a watchmaker to try to regulate it but the ones I’ve found say not to mess with it. It’s got an SW200-1 or and ETA2824-2 in it so it should be possible to regulate pretty easily. My problem is that I can’t figure out how to open it. It’s a dive watch but I can’t see any way to open the caseback. So I’m here to see if anyone has any ideas how to open it. I suspect I may also have questions about how to regulate it once I figure out how to open it.
    • Does it stop regardless of position its in ?  If it starts with low amplitude, then its likely excessive friction in the escapement .   Periodic stop that corresponds to a gear, indicates a bad teeth/ pinion in the gear.         
    • Thanks, as long as its not restricted to air mail.
    • Yes I use Paypal and shipping options include just about everything I know. There might be some restrictions based on the contents but UPS, Fedex and DHL are usually available.