“Master Craft” mainspring winder

clockboy

Although I am now used to my Bergeon mainspring winder I still have problems with some springs especially the older style auto springs that have a longer bridal. The issue has always been the winding arbour diameters always seem too large causing issues with the release and also in my opinion the entry slot is to far small. 

Anyway I see this on the Bay and for  approx. £100 including postage from the USA a “Master Craft” mainspring winder for automatic watch springs. The winding arbours use a spring with a hooked end to catch on the spring so no need for a wide arbour. The closing ends of the Arbours are clear plastic so you can inspect the spring has detached from the spring before removal. The springs are always wound clockwise into a holder so orientation is no issue. Once in the holder the spring is then pushed into the barrel the same as when you purchase a new spring from its washer. Although it is if auto springs I see no reason why it would not work with a normal spring. In the pics I used a scrap spring form my bits draw. I highly recommend this purchase in fact I am wondering if I will use my Bergeon winder again as this is easier & safer to use.

Kit.jpgWinding spring.jpg

Spring with hook for catching the mainspring

Attached spring to winding arbour.jpg

Mainspring on winding arbour also the spring can be inserted into the carrier first

spring wound.jpg

Spring wound into carrier also nice and clear and safe to see if the spring has released.

spring ready to be inserted.jpg

Spring wound into the carrier ready for insertion into the barrel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1