The days certainly fly!  I've been in school for 13 months now, but there is still so much to learn.  I wonder if I'll know enough by the time I graduate?

Today was a big day, tool-wise.  I got my new Lorch lathe (see box at far right next to bench with closed roll top).  It's a beautiful set, probably from the 1970's.  It's almost complete.  This plus my 1920-vintage Boley allows me to do almost everything.  

I'm also working on a nice little Japanese wristwatch.  It's not very expensive but it has some nice and fairly innovative features and, consequently, is of different design than I usually work on.  It has a cracked jewel so, as an exercise using my new lathe, I'm going to make a brash bushing to replace the jewel.  I wouldn't normally do this except for practice using my lathe.  Also I recently re-jeweled a watch that had brass bushings; so there's a sort of symmetry between the two operations.  

Finally, we put in the finishing touches to a student workshop off-campus where we can work together practicing various skills.  We will work, help and challenge each other and prepare questions to ask our instructor the next day.

20161017_104206.jpg

Edited by DouglasSkinner
Left out some information
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1