Ingersoll Triumph Mainspring problem

NickP

Hello all,

A friend sent me an old Ingersoll Triumph wristwatch to repair. I think I found the problem pretty quickly but someone had tried to lubricate it with WD40 so I decided to strip it and service it.

No problems until it came to the mainspring barrel. I don't have much experience of these types of movements and I can't say I have come across this type of arrangement before. Simply put, I can't remove the barrel at all. The screw keeps turning, with it the barrel and the ratchet wheel. I cannot work out what to do and would be humbly very grateful for any advice. 

I have attached some photos to illustrate the thing.

Thanks in advance

NickP1010251.jpg

P1010252.jpg

P1010253.jpg

P1010254.jpg

6 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

you can service the main spring and leave the barrel attached to the plate. it looks like the cover will lift off.  vinn 

If the ratchet screw and wheel are not removed, the barrel arbor cannot be lubricated to the plate. Not a good idea.

• Like 1

Hold the barrel just like one would do with a nut and bolt.

Thanks for your replies but I have been struggling to do that. I am scared of damaging the barrel if I hold it too tight. The screw won't budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alert !  that screw is usually LEFT HAND THREAD  most often broken,  even by good  mechanics.   THAT,S  why i suggested leave it  and service the main spring and lube under the screw.      if you break the screw - you are screwed,  cheers vinn

Nick;  on a watch,  it is hard to determine "if it's left handed"  unless you are told or find it in print.  it takes so little tourque to brake it.  if you are lucky,  only half the head brakes off and then it can be turned with plyers ( the other direction).  vinn

6 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

Nick;  on a watch,  it is hard to determine "if it's left handed"  unless you are told or find it in print.  it takes so little tourque to brake it.  

It's not hard. The threading is so the screw doesn't get lose with the rotation of the wheel below it. For a ratchet wheel, observe the direction when winding.

Edited by jdm