Pallet repair

I have three unserviceable pallet forks for a Pierce 134 and can't track down a replacement at a reasonable price. One has a broken Jewel and two have broken staffs (can't find a replacement staff either although Jules Borel lists lots of movements with the same staff).

I have a staking set and jewelling press, but not a pallet stone adjuster.

Has anyone here ever moved a staff from one pallet to another, or do I need to make some tools to move a stone (or splash out on some new stones)

S

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I got my spirit lamp, fuel, shellac and I also picked up a used pallet and roller jewel setting tool.

I know many different types of these have been made, but this is the only type I have seen for sale recently.

image.jpeg

Has anyone here used this type? When I try to hold the pallet staff, the jaws slide down and only hold the pivot, leaving the jewels sitting above the jaws.

Am I missing something about how to use this?

Thanks

S

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I gave up with the tool I bought and made one of my own... but as I tried to remove the stone, the end of it crumbled in my tweezers.

Interesting thing is that I now have 4 pallet forks for this movement and all of them have damage to the same stone. Good news is that whilst no-one has one for sale at a reasonable price, I discovered that they are the same as another Pierce movement which do appear to be available.

This means I can amass enough parts to build 2 or 3 of these watches. All I need now is some more time to work on them! Watch this space for the next exciting installment in 3 months time...