Waltham Model 1883 Mainspring Replacement

The following links are my first attempt and replacing a mainspring on a full plate 18s open face Waltham. I made a few previous videos on disassembly of the watch and barrel but these are more relevant. I am a total amateur but have all the resources to do the Job and help from guys like oldhippy and bob12. As I try and learn, the work gets easier and the pleasure increases 50 fold.

http://youtu.be/QxU1QJB4R0M

http://youtu.be/QxU1QJB4R0M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdrichard, that was great as I was watching I did wonder at first why you didn't show oiling the top pivot of the staff. I found out in video two. As you soon found out a little oil in the right place can work wonders. I would get hold of a decent pocket watch movement holder. Just be careful if you leave the hands on they bend so easy or even break. It wouldn't have hurt to have taken the dial off that way you could have made sure all parts had oil. Not criticizing at all just a couple of useful tips. Very well done.

:Bravo:

• Like 1

jdrichard, that was great as I was watching I did wonder at first why you didn't show oiling the top pivot of the staff. I found out in video two. As you soon found out a little oil in the right place can work wonders. I would get hold of a decent pocket watch movement holder. Just be careful if you leave the hands on they bend so easy or even break. It wouldn't have hurt to have taken the dial off that way you could have made sure all parts had oil. Not criticizing at all just a couple of useful tips. Very well done.

:Bravo:

Thanks. Do you have a suggestion for a pocket watch movement holder. And, I did go between the plates to oil the bottom jewels (very tricky). I know this guy will not use the watch and it was running so well (290 amplitude) that I felt unnecessary to give it the 100% cleaning (as I have don for other watches). Still learning ( for the next 20 years I'm sure:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk