Omega Case SF 168.010

First of all, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place

I have a Constellation 168.010 c564 which I was was intending to let go once I have learnt how to repair/replace the rotor bearing and completed the job satisfactorily (the bearing is clearly worn and the rotor is catching the case)

A major driver for me to part with the watch is that the lugs are crabby - over dressed and polished - one is particularly bad. Anyway, looking up potential sale prices last week, up popped an ebay ad for a Spanish company with two NOS 168.010 cases to sell - so I bought one half expecting it to be damaged/fake and held my breath. Anyway it arrived today and it is fine :) - some minor marking from poor storage I guess but otherwise OK. One difference between the "Spanish" case and mine has intrigued me however and that is the purpose of this post  - the back of the Spanish case rises from the perimeter in a continuous curve right up the the observatory medallion whereas on mine, the profile is an angled ~ 5mm band followed by a flat land (also ~5mm) which surrounds the medallion. The insides of the backs are identical as are all the engraved/stamped markings

Web images show both back profiles used on the 168.010 - does anyone know why two different back designs would be used? Also, whilst I actually prefer the profile on mine, I wondered if it would be unwise to fit it to the Spanish case against the possibility that the thread depths on the two cases may be at subtle variance?

Any views welcome 

(BTW the Spanish web site has quite a few NOS Omega cases for sale - they are mostly for old Geneve's but there a a few Connie cases and a DeVille too - did not notice any seamasters or any other Omega model) 

I shared your concern when I bought the case but felt assured I would get my money back if all went wrong. As an aside, a few years ago I bought (ebay) a NOS 2627 case (for my Omega bumper) from the Australian equivalent of Otto Frei - it was a fake with a bezel edge that would slice your finger off and a soft alloy ring that you had to fit to prevent the case back clamping the movement - they proceeded to tell me they had sent the other 2627 NOS in their stock to Omega for verification and that Omega had vouchsafed them as genuine - didn't buy that and launched a ebay return - got my money back without ebay stepping in but on the condition that I did not post any -ve feedback. (The Aus company used to build s300s from (allegedly genuine) bits - it seems to have totally disappeared from view today - but they always had loads and loads of (allegedly) NOS Omega stuff on ebay which makes you think I suppose

Anyway, have had a thorough look at the Spanish case under a 10x and mic'd as many dimensions as I could - am satisfied it is 100 % genuine - the 564 fits and clamps in it perfectly and the backs are interchangeable :)

Hello Presto

I would be careful with the 564 because it is know to be targeted by copiers There is an article by D. Guilfoyl (constellation guru) that specifically mentions the 168.010 as having been widely copied, I can send you the link via message if you like but don't want to post here because don't want to pull up any forum rules.

JC

Yes please JC send the link. Its just the case I bought from Spain BTW - already have a genuine 168.010 with a 564 (May be wrong but I believe they were only sold with the 564 and not the 561 - whereas the preceding 168.004 was only sold with the 561).

I was made aware of one 168.010 scam a few years ago wherein an outfit was advertising vintage NOS Connies - including the 168.010 - evidently you paid your money, never received the goods and could never contact them again! I have e-mailed the Spanish firm I got the case from to enquire  where they sourced the cases they presently have on ebay - be interesting to see what they say - they seem legit, been in business 35 years but newish to ebay (100% approval rating)   

(Have wondered at the mo if jewellers with Omega parts-stocks are having a fire sale noting the Swatch embargo on future parts supply - i.e. they are just giving up on Omega business and having a clear out)

I have just bought an AT from a long-standing Omega dealer - since Christmas, the only parts Omega will supply them with and allow them to fit are straps, bracelets, spare links and spring-bars :( 

Finally to add, the markings inside the Spanish case back (Omega triangle + SF 680010 etc.) when looked at under a 15x are flat at their base and have displaced raised edges - and therfore have clearly been stamped as they should be :) etc

Last word on this I promise :) -  My case back fits the "Spanish Case" OK so I am going to keep this combo. The feeling that my case back was somehow better has been reinforced by just now reading an account on an Omega forum - this explains that until the mid-sixties or so, the medallions on Omega case backs where separate pressings that were an interference fit within a recess machined into the case back - did not know that ! Anyway, presumably to save money, OMEGA started to simply stamp the medallion directly into the case back - hence the two different profiles I encountered.

Sorry to be so boring but the above fact fascinated me (I am easily pleased :) )

I've two Constellations with medallion casebacks that are the old kind--gold medallion. I though only stainless steel constellations had the observatory symbol stamped right into the back? In any case, I am glad the mystery of the "Spanish Omega Case" is happily solved. Now...oMay I ask one ne request? PICTURES!!

JC

Sorry for the late post - piccys below - above = directly embossed medallion on the new (Spanish) case - below = inserted medallion on 'my' case. The stampings on the inside of the backs are identical - as I said if you Google Images of the 168.010 you will see both versions 

DSC03753.JPG

DSC03749.JPG

Edited by presto0906
correction

You want piccys of the insides? - yes I can post those - I only bought an MT case (body, bezel, crystal + Omega symbol and O ring - a 'Case Kit' I believe it was called) from Spain as I said - have already posted the full 168.010 under the 'My Collections' thread - it is a 564 with a worn rotor pivot / gear bush - one of the first DIY jobs I intend to tackle (you will see the trace of the rotor clearly from the piccy) no engine turning anymore from this vintage I note :( All my other Omegas are there by the way - sure you will find them - if not I will re-post here

Edited by presto0906
Omission