M8 Bulova Oceanographer Troubleshoot Help

mcass

I recently picked up this Bulova at an estate sale. The crystal was scratched horribly but after hours of polishing it is as clear as new. I have also replaced the band with a black leather that really looks great on the watch. There are some problems though that I do not know enough about watches to even know where to start. Basically when pulled out to set the time, the crown pulls very hard. When pushed in, I can not get it to wind. While out and setting, the crown seems to spin looser the more times I turn it. When I push it back in, the watch will start to run. It may stay running for several hours or for only several minutes. When it does seem to stay running, it seems to be gaining about roughly 5 minutes or so each hour. While I am not necessarily ready to try and fix this myself (I have another I am working on witch is my first teardown and rebuild), at some point I would like to try and fix this one. Could anyone give me some idea what might be wrong with it?

• Like 1

A full service is definitely the order of the day with this one. Apart from a thorough clean and lube, I would closely inspect the keyless work and balance assembly given the problems you're encountering. Also it sounds like it may be magnetised. Until your watch is opened up and thoroughly examined, it's hard to say exactly what the cause of the problems are.