Replacing Mineral Crystal With Acrylic

Davey57

I quite fancy putting a domed acrylic crystal in my diver just for a different look and for a bit of a change. Not bothered at all about it being waterproof as I have no intention of swimming or anything while wearing it. I just wondered whether the acrylic crystal should just fit straight into the case and remove the existing rubber seal. I have just been experimenting today as I found a crystal that fitted into the rubber gasket and it seemed quite secure and looked good too. The opening with no gasket is 29.33, what size crystal should I aim for if fitting one directly into the case?

I have been looking at some on Cousins site but they only seem to do even number sizes. So I could get 29.2, which is too small or a 29.4 which is the next size up.

Reckon that might squeeze in or is it too big a jump?  You are right they are not expensive so I could just order one or two to try first I suppose.

Have seen other that have done the same thing. If it's i diver i would go for the thicker diver crystal. That would look even better then the ordinary. And would try the 29,4 size. Like this? You could remove the crome ring if you want?  The glass is thicker on the top. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/divers-chrome-ringed-glass-atct

Edited by rogart63

How close to the size stated on the packaging would you expect a new acrylic crystal be? I ordered a few "cheap" ones to test for size before I buy a good one. I thought it made sense.

I ordered a 29.4 it actually measures 29.2.  For another one I ordered a 28.8 it actually measures 28.6. So I am none the wiser.

I know they were cheap and it's not about the money. But how many do you need to order to make sure you get one the right size?  It's not such a problem when they are a pound or so each, but if you are spending say, £6 or £7 including postage for one it seems rather wasteful. The old adage "you only get what you pay for" seems to fit the bill. I imagine that better quality ones like the Sternkreuz will be pretty close to their stated size?