Old Pocket Watch Repair

Hey Folks,

Managed to remove the rusty old hands on this one but just wondering what lurks inside to see if a repair is warranted.

How do I remove the movement from the case as obviously the stem/crown is keeping the movement from coming out.

I dont really see any seam on the outside of the case, etc.  New to pocketwatches and have no idea.

Any help would be appreciated.  If you do know of any reasonable watch repair people in the USA to send off to I would consider that as its not my watch to bugger up and I'd like to see its owner happy with a clean and functioning watch.  It does run but needs a new seconds hand due to major rust and clearly a servicing.

Thanks for any thoughts or guidance.

post-1397-0-93273500-1454249769_thumb.jp

Edited by perpetual92

Loosen the crystal and bezel then remove the rear cover.

Pull the crown up to the hand setting position.

You will see two screws looking at the rear which hold the movement in the case.

Remove these.

Remove the crystal with its's bezel being careful not to let the movement fall out.

Gently ease out the movement from the case, through the front, bottom first, and it will slide out of the case and off the stem.

I'm assuming this a a screw type case if not and the two bezels are snap off just prize both of them of at the start.

Also I see a hair line across the dial. Don't use too much pressure to get it off. Otherwise you will wreck it. Be gentle and make sure the two retaining screws though the side of the movemen are loose before you try to get the dial of.

Edited by Alaskamick

Good directions and also, when you take the movement out from the front, drop it gently on THE PALM OF YOUR HAND, don't touch it with your fingers unless you are grabbing it by the edges. Although you are probably servicing it, it is good practice. When you touch the movement with your fingers, apart of contamination, you are drawing lubricant from where they should be. By dropping it on the palm of your hand you are preventing it to happen...or so it sais on some books and I follow it. (best practice ?!) 

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks...it worked. Inside an Omega 8760 movement. Any value? Canon pinion rusted but soaked in some Wd40 worked. It's a Dueber. Stamped on inside of case back.

I will need a replacement seconds hand. Any source of a suitable replacement ??

Any thoughts on this pocket watch?