Eta2836-2 Stem Woes!

jnash

In know its open to debate, but can someone tell me the best position to leave this movement in when i remove the stem.

I'm trying to put back a watch (including cutting down stem for the push down crown) but as soon as it comes out, i have to reset the keyless works by removing the dial an hands.. 

Its been too many times now ive had to strip it back which is leading me to think that the one of keyless works parts is not fulfillinf its duties!

Thanks in advance

J

There must be something else going on here, because i always previously used the time setting.

It may be the hassle of trying to cut down the stem (lot of shifting around)

Side question:  is there a clever way to cutting a stem in a for a push down screw in stem?

Thanks again 

Hi jnash,

you need to push first and while pushing measure the distance and them cut a little less for clearance. Check out Geo's explanation by searching the site (I believe it is a recent post). As for the stem trouble, the set lever (that retains the stem) or a related part that should be pushing it (lever) down (weak spring, loose screw, etc) is not properly engaging. As Micky said, how you pull the stem is a matter of preference on those designs. It is my experience, little as it is, that some others may need a certain position for this operation since the "push button" will only be available in the given position....but not on the 2801 family and/or related.

Just my take on it.

Cheers,

Bob

My experience with ETA 24xx stem removal is that after several times needing to remove hands and dial to reset the keyless works, I read somewhere that the  cause was due to the stem release lever being pressed in too far and that the pusher should have a stop to prevent that.

Since then I have always used a pusher turned out of a piece of 2 mm brass with a tip turned down to 1.4 mm diameter to rest on the ledge A in the photo ( ETA 2892 in this case) and an extension of 0.5mm to push the release lever B. The length of the 0.5mm extension is best set by trial and error on a movement with no dial ! It should just be long enough to release the stem. I suppose that there already exists a tool to do this but I have not been able to find a source.

post-374-0-17848900-1448551425_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks all

I've found the problem, it seems there is significant space that the clutch wheel falls out of place as soon as the stem ispulled out.

`pulling it out with tweezers whilst inserting works wonders!

Thanks all again

• Like 1

I was repairing an Asian ETA28xx today and I've decided to investigate and took a couple of video shots to show why and how the keyless problem occurred. It's also to visual compare and understand the difference between the two methods, winding position and setting position.

The winding position video, http://youtu.be/YbiZ4qtgDWw

The setting position video, http://youtu.be/bIaS4tiG7q8

In the experiment, in winding position, I press the indented portion a little more but not too much.

In the setting position, I did the same. In fact, after the video recording, I press all the way in but it did not cause any problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the videos, I too experimented today, and removed a stem from a 2836-2 in time setting position, and screwed the keyless up when refitting the stem, so even though as you say its best for removal and insert in manual time setting mode, I will continue to remove and insert in manual wind position.

As shown in the video of winding position, when inserting the stem, the square section of the stem in finding it's alignment into the square hole is pushing the sliding pinion out of its position causing the yoke to slip out. As the yoke slip out, it pushes upward and causes the setting level jumper to disengage the pin on the setting level.

While in setting position, the sliding pinion is furthest in and can't be pushed any further to be disengaged with the yoke. Therefore, this is the best position when doing minor job in the need of taking out the movement from the case and put it back later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by steven

I understand what is happening, and what you are saying, but having been doing this for a few years now, I kind of have a feel for how to insert a stem in my preference setting, so maybe time setting position is best for those who are inexperienced.