How To Use This Back Case Opener Accessories?

steven

In my opinion, these are the deadliest case openers ever made.

I made the mistake of buying one when I started this adventure, looks pretty, but has terrible faults!

post-1141-0-00317200-1448356954_thumb.jp

Even adjusted correctly, the slightest deviation from a perfect level of poise will cause one of the teeth to jump and possibly gouge a caseback.

Not only do you have to maintain equal left/right force, you also have to counteract the natural rolling force that will be induced by any predominant handed person.

You need extremely coordinated left/right hand touch/feedback/luck to use these without causing damage.

Unless I'm using this

post-1141-0-76731700-1448357077_thumb.jp

I use one of these.

post-1141-0-42268900-1448357172_thumb.jp

The natural deviation with these will be along the radial axis of the force, thus allowing the teeth to tilt radially IN the slot, not the in transverse axis as with the other one which will LIFT the teeth from the slots.

As a person who has used tools ranging from torque wrenches that took two strong men to use, to the finest watchmakers screwdrivers, I consider these to be the worst designed caseback wrenches ever invented.

Once again, my opinion.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by JimInOz
  • Like 3

I have an idea Steven, but may be well off the mark.

The part at the top may well be a third pin for locating in the case back. This would give three pint contact which is way better than only the two as Jim says.

(1) Slacken the knurled nut, and slide the part with the pin off the plate.

(2) There appears to be a small notch machined out of the round bar in between the adjustable pin set. See if this will slide into the narrower slot in the plate that you have just removed the single pin from. If it does slide the two parts together.

(3) Replace the single pin onto the slotted plate and you should have a three pin wrench that you can adjust to fit the slots on a case back.

(4) Once all three are adjusted and tightened securely in place you should be able to remove and fit the case back with less fear of it slipping and chewing up the back

(5) I MIGHT BE TALKING THE BIGGEST LOAD OF **BLEEP**, BUT IT'S WORTH CHECKING OUT. :)

• Like 1

Jim is right about maintaining equal force when using this opener. The equal force is easier to maintain if the watch is on a watch holder fixed to the bench. Then we can use both hands holding both side of the tool to maintain the level and apply equal force. It's easy to gorge the caseback if the level is not monitored.

I'm used to it now and it's a convenient tool to use for easy-to-open watches. Where I hold the watch with one hand and the opener with the other. For the tightly closed watches, I use a bigger opener which is fixed to the bench.

I have a Jaxa wrench as well for opening triangle-spacing notches caseback. Now Geo, you could be right about using that piece as a third pin for such caseback! I'll try it first thing in the workshop tomorrow. You have sharp eye for details. It never come across my mind that it works as a third pin.

Feeling so excited now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post-1248-14484287041506.jpgpost-1248-1448428717088.jpg

Geo, you are right on the usage of that piece. It's only useful for caseback of 37mm onwards with six notches. Not suitable for the five notches type which I thought so.

I used it to open a customer's watch (in the pic) and it improved stability and easier to apply equal force. [emoji2]

Sent from my Lenovo S650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1