Marvin Movement Questions

Gary

Hi All!

I have purchased another Marvin movement. The movement is marked 540 (one of the tire encased watches) but I have about 10 or so Marvin mainsprings for. 535 although I cannot find any information on the 535. Ranfft doesn't have it listed in their archives. So to compare the movements they look the same but one has three adjustments. My mainsprings 535 are marked for 10.5 1.50x.10x342 although Ranfft has a different size listed for the 540. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks as always!

Gary

OK looked this up in my GR catalog.

Marvin 535               Spring ref:    No.  GR4124     H 1.50   Strength 0.10  Length 340  Diameter 9.5

Marvin 540, 540S     Spring ref:    No.GR5235    H 1.80   Strength 0.09  Length 360  Diameter 9.5

As you can see significant differences required for the mainsprings between the two calibers.

Clockboy thank you for taking the time to look and reply. I will contact Esslinger to see if they have a replacement for the 540. You reference a GR catalog in your post. Where do you acquire one or are they available for purchase!

Thank you again!!

Gary

Clockboy thank you for taking the time to look and reply. I will contact Esslinger to see if they have a replacement for the 540. You reference a GR catalog in your post. Where do you acquire one or are they available for purchase!

Thank you again!!

Gary

Cousins. Also they have the hairsprings in stock approx. £7.50

***Update***

So I was putting together a list of parts I need for various watches. One the mainspring above. I thought I need a mainspring for this and an Illinois pocket watch 405 model so I'll place an order. Went home and opened a box of mainsprings I bought months ago and here was the second third and fourth packets. Hopefully they are still good. Never been opened. And they say hoarding doesn't pay!

lol

post-337-0-12945800-1447818576_thumb.jpe

Clockboy may I ask favor? at your convenience would you check your GR catalogue for the mainspring for an Illinois 405 ? I think one of these would fit? Also, the Marvin lengths don't agree with any references for the size? Was there an issue with standard sizing? Everything has little differences, for the most part.

Thanks again!

Gary

post-337-0-61632000-1447819155_thumb.jpe

Edited by Gary

Clockboy may I ask favor? at your convenience would you check your GR catalogue for the mainspring for an Illinois 405 ? I think one of these would fit? Also, the Marvin lengths don't agree with any references for the size? Was there an issue with standard sizing? Everything has little differences, for the most part.

Thanks again!

Gary

Gary sorry the Illinois 405 is not in the Catalogue. Non of those that are in the Catalogue have a height of 210 if you have the ligne size I can give you there sizes or as Stuart states you can look it up yourself on the Cousins web site.