Old Chronograph Hands (Removal)

An interesting thread in the chronometer club forum discussed the problem that is commonly found when removing an old chronograph second recording hand.
One member  mentions this:
"Yes. Older hands are extremely tight. I break one sometimes and if it came off clean, usually put it in the lathe and attach another tube"
I couldn't get a response on that forum so I am hoping I can gain some new knowledge here.

Is there a reference (book, journal article or video) that discusses this approach (in bold)?
Thank you,
Dean

unfortunately they do come off (usually of the pipe)

I have a watchmaker that will not work on the old navitimers anymore as he has too much trouble with the hands. Another way is to undo the watch dial and pull it up using it to force off the hands (put something between the dial and hand first.

I do have a hand puller and lever and i do tend to use the levers but more room for error.

Others will chime in after a while but im always ready to have to repair the hands on the chronos!

Hope that helps (a bit)

Hi Dean, I would recommend using levers as they give you more feel and control.

Do not use presto type hand removers, as there it is virtually impossible to get any feel or control of the process. When they pull, it happens very quickly with a sharp action that is far more likely to fold the second hand or rip it off the pipe. I know, I've done it!