Bergeon 2718 - 1A Automatic Oiler

I have just invested in an automatic oiler. I could do with some advice on filling, setting up flow and best way to use it before I barge in and make a pigs ear of things.

Edited by Geo

• 3 weeks later...

I picked one up a few weeks ago, but have not figured it out yet. 

Can someone who has used one thoroughly give a good write up please, I have been playing with it and just can't figure it out.

I see a needle with two different OD's then there is the hollow tube, as well as two separate screw adjustments for needle depth and then how far the needle retracts.

I took it apart to clean it so I get the physical makeup but my only testing with it is either a huge glob of oil or none.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no better method than the old method used, i.e. the good old dive-oïl..I don't use an automatic oiler, It's never precision. Personally I think it is a waste of time and wasted for nothing. Well sure it is my own opinion, probably not yours.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• No real question here, I managed to clean and reinstall this straight. But I just thought I would share this silly design for a balance cap jewel on an old Junghans pocket watch caliber J32. The screw is in the center, the jewel eccentric; the opposite design from every other cap jewel I have ever seen. But it has no steady pins beneath so tightening the screw means the cap jewel wants to rotate away from the hole jewel. Without an automatic oiler, this took about 6 tries to oil and screw down the cap without spinning it away. A tiny bit of Rodico didn't really help. Happily they don't make them like this anymore.
    • Thanks for your most appreciated assessment with this. I will purchase a new movement. 
    • Sorry I am confused by step 4. Which screw? There is the balance cock screw. I don’t think that is what you are talking about. The only other screw I see is on the side of the swan neck regulator. I do t think that is the one you are talking about either Well I managed to make it worse again but I could take pictures.  I had put the balance cock partially in place with one locator pin in. I wanted to remove it and I know I should use my screwdriver in the slot to move it off the pin but I didn’t l pulled wit my tweezers and it stuck then gave suddenly and was thrown a few inches away and of course the hairspring got tangled (a coil was above the cock) and untangling it from the cock deformed it.    I am going to try to put it back in shape and I will likely post more pictures after shortly. I’ll wait for feedback before reattaching it to the cock I am sorry I think I’ll give up. I was trying to remove the tangle. I had previously succeeded but now I just made more of a mess with this new tangle.  Lf you see my spring it is now just a knot.  Let’s keep a positive attitude. The movement was already broken. It was working but couldn’t be used. So what if it can’t run anymore… I went on and reinstalled the mainspring in the barrel by hand and managed to put the arbor back in.  Now I need to close the thing!  
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • OK, bad video... Almost all of them are. To attach the spring (stud) to the cock: 1. Put the cock on the table top upside down.  Open the regulator if closed. 2. Put the balance on , align the stud above the hole for it in the stud carrier. 3. Help the stud to get in the hole by gentle pressing. 4. When it is in, grasp the cock with balance with tweezers (from aside, not from above), then get it between fingers, not changing the horizontal position, then tighten slightly the screw. This is the moment to correct the high position of the stud - it's top must be even with the carrier. Now tighten the screw. 5. If the outer coil is out of the regulator, move the regulator to the max to '+' position, then guide the spring to get in the regulator. Now You can return the regulator where it was and close it above the spring