Would anyone happen to know if a stem from Cousins would include the rubber o ring or if this would have to be bought separately? The parts diagram I have doesn't show a part number for the o ring and the parts description on Cousins doesn't say whether it comes with an o ring or not!

Screenshot_20240526-094123.png

19 minutes ago, Chief said:

rubber o ring

Typically as stem does not come with the crown. The crown is where you'd find the  O-ring or gasket crown gasket perhaps would be a better name typically that's found in or on the crown. So if you're replacing a stem. Typically replacing the crown also.

Then as you found out a stem is part of a watch movement. A crown is a casing components you'll need a case number to figure out which crown you need.

Then depending upon the type of crown sometimes they do make generic O-rings to replace the one that's damaged if that's the problem?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Typically as stem does not come with the crown. The crown is where you'd find the  O-ring or gasket crown gasket perhaps would be a better name typically that's found in or on the crown. So if you're replacing a stem. Typically replacing the crown also.

Then as you found out a stem is part of a watch movement. A crown is a casing components you'll need a case number to figure out which crown you need.

Then depending upon the type of crown sometimes they do make generic O-rings to replace the one that's damaged if that's the problem?

Ah I see! The problem I have is that the watch case let water in. The case back seal was damaged but upon further inspection I've also found that the stem is very slightly bent, the crown rotates in an eccentric movement when turning, so I'm assuming the seal may not be sealing the case also. I'll have a look again when I get home but it looked like the seal sits on the stem so I assumed it would be a stem part! I'll try and find case parts 😫

Edited by Chief

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Ah I see! The problem I have is that the watch case let water in. The case back seal was damaged but upon further inspection I've also found that the stem is very slightly bent, the crown rotates in an eccentric movement when turning, so I'm assuming the seal may not be sealing the case also. I'll have a look again when I get home but it looked like the seal sits on the stem so I assumed it would be a stem part! I'll try and find case parts 😫

I take it the gasket on the stem is sealing inside the case tube as opposed to a crown gasket that seals on the outside of the case tube.

1 hour ago, Chief said:

If i can suggest posting a picture of both the case design and the stem that you have.  Pictures pictures Pictures,  always pictures. A picture paints a thousand words 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I take it the gasket on the stem is sealing inside the case tube as opposed to a crown gasket that seals on the outside of the case tube.

If i can suggest posting a picture of both the case design and the stem that you have.  Pictures pictures Pictures,  always pictures. A picture paints a thousand words 🙂

I've rechecked and it appears John is right! The seal is on the crown. I didn't realise the crown had a shaft that screwed onto the stem with a seal in the middle which goes inside the case. I assumed the crown was flat and the threads of the stem screwed into it. Can you tell I've never removed a crown before 🤣 thanks for the help guys!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chief said:

stem is very slightly bent, the crown rotates in an eccentric movement when turning,

If it actually is the stem itself bent you could replace the stem keep the crown and change the gasket. But a lot of times it's the crown that gets bent. Then the other problem is gaskets just have a way of going out with time and require replacement.

Here is a typical image of a crown that citizen and Seiko typically have. With crowns like this the gasket is replaceable.

50602146c_cmyk.jpg.269ab5ab87e8fb7770bdb19e6fcd8314.jpg

• Thanks 1