Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• The mainspring would be my prime suspect, once you get to it, installing a new mainspring is fairly simple. But in getting to the spring barrel you are about 50-75% of the way through a complete disassemble, so you may as well go the 'whole hog'. I don't know your experience level, but if you are just starting your journey I would get some more experience under your belt before risking a service on this watch, a good excuse/motivation to get started in the hobby. Other than that you could maybe find a watch maker in your location and get them to do the change out if you aren't ready to take it on yourself yet. Just looking at the watch it looks like it is about due a service, difficult to be sure from a picture, but maybe worth biting the bullet and get it serviced, or bide your time and do it yourself when you are feeling confident 🙂  
    • I bought a lovely 1972 Tissot Seastar automatic with the Cal. 794 movement and wore it for a few days. It kept good time but on one occasion it stopped and needed a wind to get it started. When I first put it on, I didn't wind it, just started it with a flick of the wrist and left it to wind itself. Unsure about how effective the automatic works might be, I decided to give it a a full wind to let it get a head start and not rely on the automatic wind as I may be too passive to keep it wound. Winding the watch felt 'interesting' with some slipping but it took the wind and worked fine for a few more days.  Yesterday afternoon I checked the time to find it had stopped. Winding the watch feels very strange now and it doesn't start.  I took the back off and watched the motion of the barrel when winding, it turns OK with the crown wheel  but when I go to let the wind down, there is no stored energy.  Broken mainspring/ bridle? I am a bit nervous about servicing this watch as the 794 seems to be unnecessarily complicated and difficult to assemble correctly.  Would it be wrong to basically dissassemble the watch only far enough to change the barrel/ mainspring. Install a new GR mainspring, reassemble and call it a day? Kick the can down the road until I have honed my skills more?  
    • There are all kinds of guitar gauges For example these are: 8 = 0.008 inches = 0.20 mm 11 - 0.011 inches = 0.28 mm And so on.... Note: Gauge/1000 = inches Inches x 25.4 = mm   Maybe too thin in the case of the click spring, but worth keeping in mind for future spring makes..... my son goes through set of strings a month, so lots of spring material in my spares draw.
    • Just found this: "Diesel leaves a residue. then you need to clean that residue with, wait for it, another solvent. kerosene is the better and safer cleaning solvent if you are going to be using something by the gallon and cheap. it is about the same thing as diesel as a 'fuel oil' but kerosene is a known and common industrial cleaning agent... no one uses diesel if kerosene is available" As far as I am aware kerosene is the US name for parafin.   source
    • I could definitely see it being useful for a cheap initial clean.