Modified K&D mainspring winders

After buying 6 set of different winders and always coming across a mainspring that just doesn't fit any winder I possess, I think I might have solved my problem.

I took my K&D winders and ground off any remnants of the arbor hooks. Then I drilled a 0.5mm hole and fitted a plain 0.5mm stainless steel wire with Loctite. This would allow me to wind in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions.

Then the problem of the winding hook being too tall for modern narrow mainsprings was solved by pushing down on the arbor and lowering the height of arbor hook.

20240405_133113.thumb.jpg.588f3a62253a24e2c599901e2f29af96.jpg

In the above photo, the arbor of the yellow winder has been pushed in, so that it lies in the centre of the width of the mainspring that I intend to wind. If I need the same arbor for a wider mainspring, I can push it out again.

So, let's see if it has finally solved my problem. 🤞

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

After buying 6 set of different winders and always coming across a mainspring that just doesn't fit any winder I possess, I think I might have solved my problem.

I took my K&D winders and ground off any remnants of the arbor hooks. Then I drilled a 0.5mm hole and fitted a plain 0.5mm stainless steel wire with Loctite. This would allow me to wind in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions.

Then the problem of the winding hook being too tall for modern narrow mainsprings was solved by pushing down on the arbor and lowering the height of arbor hook.

20240405_133113.thumb.jpg.588f3a62253a24e2c599901e2f29af96.jpg

In the above photo, the arbor of the yellow winder has been pushed in, so that it lies in the centre of the width of the mainspring that I intend to wind. If I need the same arbor for a wider mainspring, I can push it out again.

So, let's see if it has finally solved my problem. 🤞

Good job hector, i have a few that need a new hook. How hard was the arbor for drilling ?