I am as novice as they come but I am trying. In any case i recently got a cheap ETA 6498 clone in hopes putting a watch together and possibly learning something. Well I learned something, I don't know what i am doing, because I am being told that the minute hand is a 1.2 mm and i guess I can agree with that. However The same sources (every one i can find) tell me the hour hand is a 2mm hand hole and this is the point at which my confusion really  starts to come to the surface.  

You see  a 2mm hole is way to big for the movement that I have i would estimate 1.5mm or less. Although the entirety of the civilized world claims that I am wrong so  there is no doubt that i must be. Is there anyone who can explain what is going on here to me plz.

29 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Yours is a clone

The word "clone" caught me out too, I assumed like-for-like, but learned that it's more like "in the spirit of" or "based on". I also learned that you need to be careful also because parts from a clone may superficially look the same as the real deal, but if you try a clone part in a real movement or vice versa there is a good chance it will not fit, I learned this the hard/expensive way. As others above suggest I would measure the pivots with a caliper - you can pick one up on Amazon for not much money <$20 and they will be a useful tool going forward. It's not until you start needing to measure jewel pivot holes etc that you need a super accurate (=$$$) one, which is a wile away yet.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Never. Good comment about the DIY thread. Yes I have seen it. Adapted a few thing to make my own systems of cleaning.  Adam and Gentlemen are my 'go to' for inspiration. I only have about 18" by 18" as my working area for cleaning. I have adapted. This is my system.   After disassemble and checking I begin the clean with pegwood and lighter fluid. Fiber brush if needed. Everything , except shellac items, balance bridge and pallet fork, into lighter fluid jar. Large items at base and others into baskets. Jar into ultrasonic warm water. 3 x 2 min. Balance and Pallet in small tray and lighter fluid dripped and allowed to gently clean. All blow dried Everything from jar moved into 2nd jar containing Isopropyl alcohol. Ultrasonic 3 x 2 min.  Balance and pallet dripped with Alcohol for under 1 min. Everything out and placed under nail blower for 10 min. Before assembly I recheck all parts for damage. This is when I make my decision to order parts as I can see what needs to be done. My system in now pretty good. Well, at least for an amateur.    
    • Looks good, maybe a little complicated to put together. So certainly some effort, time and headscratching involved if you're not particularly tech savvy. Personally i like the more simple approach of diy cobbling, you dont end up with anything automated so the cleaning operation is a bit more hands on. But you have something simple, cheap, less to go wrong , easy to fix if it does, but in essence cleans just as well. Look at the diy watch cleaning thread Ross, there are some simple ideas in there if you feel you want to make something. 
    • So you need a 3d printer in order to have this. I wonder is the other parts that you need are available say in the UK because that is where I live. It looks a nice cleaning machine.  
    • The case style and the movement are in the style of American. If you take it apart you will need mainspring clamps as the springs are strong and very long       
    • Lol!  Not even close! 😆  It's a Sam Hueng movement.  A Korean firm.  So I think this is post-war, 1940-1960?  Maybe pre-Korean war since it doesn't say "South Korea?"  The chime side winds clockwise, but the power side winds counter-clockwise.  Looks like someone has been trying to wind the power side clockwise for who knows how many years and the spring was been unwound to the state you see in the pictures.  It doesn't seem damaged though, and I was able to wind it in the correct direction.