Enfield clock approx 1935 strike problem

Hi everyone,

I have an Enfield clock that has a Westminster chime. The problem I have is the strike strikes on the hour as it should but it also strikes at the half hour too. The chimes are correct on all quarters. If anyone could guide me and tell me what may be happening I would be very grateful. Thank you for reading.

Hi and welcome.

I have had similar trouble with an Enfield Westminster clock. It was to do with the release on the quarter hours.  On each quarter there is a pin on a star wheel that lifts a lever. One of those pins is longer than the other three and should release the lever on the o'clock. This is linked to a self-correct system so if the clock is started and the chimes are in the wrong position they will reset. On my clock this reset wasn't working and the long pin was releasing on the half-hour instead of the o'clock. This was enough to nudge the strike chain for one strike at half past and the chime wheel was still able to release the hour strike on the o'clock. 

Sometimes I find that dismantling  cleaning and reassembling is enough to put this sort of thing right.

When you send in some photos I'm sure lots of people will be able to help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi All, I started this forum over 10 years ago and never intended for it to me a 'for profit' concern. Since then, I launched an online course and I draw funds from that business in order to fund this website. There is also a little bit of funding from Google ads but I don't rely on it because they keep changing the goalposts. The forum costs a few hundred pounds per month to run and Im comfortably managing it. Why a few hundred pounds? I am OCD about backups and not relying on a single company to host those backups, I use amazon S3 to backup hourly and daily, I also use Digital Ocean. I use a separate mail service to handle the serious amounts of emails sent from the site, I am on here most days admin'ing and updating the site or servers/applying security patches and the like - its not a big deal, I enjoy it. In short - you might not see me a lot posting (for my sanity as it's addictive (same on all my social media)) but I certainly do a lot behind the scenes. I can't control my mortality and so there's always that - but other than that, I'm damn committed to this site as I am committed to my commercial site watchfix.com which supports this site. I have no interest in shutting down, selling or otherwise changing this sites format. Having said that, if anyone wants to consider taking on moderation tasks to help (in particular, making sure people post in the correct place and moderating new members posts) that would be very helpful. (Only members who have been active for more than a year please). Finally, thanks very much for your support and kind words - I truly appreciate that. This forum has to be one of the friendliest I am part of - a massive refreshment after reading some of the Facebook groups I'm part of - except mine FB group - that's also great with great people 😄😉    
    • Demagnetize it first and the tools you are using. Get yourself a tin of  Ronsonol lighter fluid. A small jar with a screw on lid. Put the balance in that for a few minutes, get some tissue paper put the balance on that then dry with you bench blower, oil both staff pivots and put it back in the movement. This is what I always used to do never had any problems. I have tried one dip and it was rubbish a waste of money. Ronsonol is very friendly to shellac so no worries there.   
    • Thats not the issue Sam, the forum is very popular and well known among in the watch world. The issue is anything can change at any time, my life and anyone else's could be changed dramatically in an instant, mine just has which partly prompted the start of the this thread.
    • Thanks for your feedback guys. I gave the watch (what I consider to be) a full wind and will check the power reserve. I think the last time I tried, it ran for at least 48 hours so this will take a while. As the watch IS running I think the arbor IS attached to the main spring. I was suspecting that maybe the main spring is slipping inside the barrel much like it would in an automatic watch. 
    • We don't think the forum is on trouble, we just don't want to lose it or contact with each other.  As you new member you are still important.