Go Corpo or stay "Small Time"

So i've been presented with a peculiar opportunity and was wondering what yalls thoughts are. Would you go into the big time cooperate watch industry if given the opportunity? If you have, what are thoughts? What was your experience like and what about everyone that think opposingly? Please I wanna hear it all just an open conversation just to open my thought process on this a little, thanks. 

Not been involved in the watch industry and not knowing the opportunity it’s hard to say. I do know from my work experience often there was a training claw back if you left within X number of years so you need to assess that for yourself. It is however an opportunity to train and gain experience with I assume a known name in watchmaking which could stand in good stead for further employment or reputation setting up on your own.

Tom

• Like 1

I'm a startup guy. I've been a co-founder, early hire, and currently on one that's just me and will hopefully do big things once I'm comfortable enough with the prototype to file patent and get it out in the world. My default is to go it alone. More risk, but also more reward... and lots more fun!

In this application though, it kinda depends what you're doing. If you're servicing watches, and Swatch wants you in their repair network, I'd probably jump on that. I feel like watchmaking and watchmakers are a dying breed, and an indie mostly just swaps out watch batteries (boring, but pays the bills). With smart watches becoming or having become the norm, those just get thrown away and upgraded every few years. No servicing. No work for watchmakers. Having a steady flow of interesting work, some job security, etc. would be very attractive.

If, on the other hand, you're starting up a microbrand or something and... I guess Swatch group again... approaches you for acquisition, that's a very different situation. If the big guys are after you, it's a question of whether or not you're ready to exit/ready for an extended battle royalle. That approach means you have something they want that will make your business better. If it's easily emulated, they're talking acquisition as a means of avoiding having to get around you legally or otherwise. So you can exit, take your payout, and not have to deal with it, or you can lawyer up and keep trucking. Kinda depends on whether or not you're ready for something else.

If you're being approached by a microbrand to start a microbrand for its own sake, that falls under the typical startup umbrella, and I'd probably go for it.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 1