The technical guide for the NH35 specifies MO-3 and MO-4 oils. I have read that these are comparable to a couple of Seiko oils. Does anyone know if they are comparable to any Moebius oils, and is it okay to substitute the Moebius oils?

Another thing - the technical differentiates between “normal quantity” of oil and “sufficient quantity” of oil. Now, aside from the obvious poor choice of language (shouldn’t the normal quantity be sufficient and vice versa), what exactly is the difference?  I suppose I could go through the parts that get a sufficient quantity to try and determine if they are parts that typically get more (or less) oil than others, but what exactly do they mean?

MO-3 is comparable to Moebius HP1300 and to be honest MO-4 can be the same, but I use Moebius 9504 in place of the MO-4 which is for high friction parts, but as I said you can use HP 1300 instead. There is a big difference in viscosity of these two lubricants, as Hp1300 is 1300 centistokes which is pretty thick and 9504 is only 305 centistokes, but I find it better in the situation for high friction parts.

If you ask 10 watchmakers which lubricants they use, you'll get 15 answers!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Another thing - the technical differentiates between “normal quantity” of oil and “sufficient quantity” of oil. Now, aside from the obvious poor choice of language (shouldn’t the normal quantity be sufficient and vice versa), what exactly is the difference?  I suppose I could go through the parts that get a sufficient quantity to try and determine if they are parts that typically get more (or less) oil than others, but what exactly do they mean?

Thanks. I figured the MO-3 was similar to HP-1300, but wasn’t sure about the MO-4. 

14 minutes ago, Jon said:

Don't take any service manual as gospel. Just put the correct amount of lubricant where it is meant to be and all will be fine

If you ask 10 watchmakers what is "correct", how many answers will you get? 🤣