Universal Geneve Unisonic - Whining?!

Hi All,

I have just tidied up a Universal Geneve Unisonic with the 1-52 tuning fork movement.

The watch started up straight away with a new battery and it runs fine, but when it's running it emits a really high pitched "whining" sound.  This is loud enough that I can hear it over the other side of a quiet room, so surely this is not standard behaviour!

If I pull the crown out to stop the watch, I can then hear the humming (as I assume it should be) without the whining, as soon as I push the crown back in off it goes again.

I read somewhere this could be a loose component vibrating at a really high frequency such to cause the whining.  Does that sound like a likely cause?  I'd really like to stop it happening as it's actually quite annoying...

Thanks in advance

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matt - I think these movements can be quite loud (depending on how sensitive your hearing is!) and I think that it's inevitable that there could be additional noise generated through the wheels when they interact with the tuning fork via the indexer.

You might consider isolating each of the drive train wheels (after the index wheel) by removing them - then you would know exactly which one was causing the additional noise - if they weren't all contributing as a group, of course.

I would also check the fit of the movement in the case and make sure any movement to case lugs are in properly.

Kind regards

Andy