What’s this pointy tool.

Got this as part of a purchase.  Seller was but entirely sure but assumed to be for removing jewels? Opening up the burnishing (if there is any).  Any confirmation or reference to a web location with more info is appreciated! 

IMG_4072.jpeg

7 hours ago, Watcher73 said:

Got this as part of a purchase.  Seller was but entirely sure but assumed to be for removing jewels? Opening up the burnishing (if there is any).  Any confirmation or reference to a web location with more info is appreciated! 

IMG_4072.jpeg

Ive seen these on ebay in little cases with other relevant parts that go with it. I did know what it was for but for the life of me just cant remember.  There is a place where you can search through a watchmaker's catalogue of tools. I had a quick look but there are over 700 pages so i gave up and thought I'd pass the work onto you 😂. Give  me a min and I'll come back with a link to it.

IMG_4072.jpeg

Ok you only get the link if you promise to come back and educate others on your find 😅

src="https://archive.org/embed/20thcenturycatal00purd" width="560"

height="384" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="true"

mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ive seen these on ebay in little cases with other relevant parts that go with it. I did know what it was for but for the life of me just cant remember.  There is a place where you can search through a watchmaker's catalogue of tools. I had a quick look but there are over 700 pages so i gave up and thought I'd pass the work onto you 😂. Give  me a min and I'll come back with a link to it.

Ok you only get the link if you promise to come back and educate others on your find 😅

[archiveorg 20thcenturycatal00purd width=560 height=384 frameborder=0 webkitallowfullscreen=true mozallowfullscreen=true]

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

[archiveorg 20thcenturycatal00purd width=560 height=384 frameborder=0 webkitallowfullscreen=true mozallowfullscreen=true]

Ok no I'm making a real balls up of this let me sort my head out 😂

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok no I'm making a real balls up of this let me sort my head out 😂

Another go 🤦‍♂️

https://archive.org/details/20thcenturycatal00purd/page/4/mode/2up

• Like 1

it actually works better if you just download the catalog in your favorite format. Then there's index in the back which sometimes helps. unfortunately the tool catalog does not explain how to use the tool

image.thumb.png.55e94386a39f5016a04dfa580a58eee6.png

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! .  This is so awesome to get this help.  If it still was for sale for a buck twenty five … I would get two, just to be sure.  Grin.  

thanks again all. I’ll be trying to find the rest of the other components! 

19 hours ago, praezis said:

Really no one?
Tool is used for milling the bearing for rubbed-in jewels. For those without a lathe…

Frank

Aw Frank you beat me to it , i was just getting my head around its use, another 3 months and i would have had it nailed 😂

Thanks everyone! .  This is so awesome to get this help.  If it still was for sale for a buck twenty five … I would get two, just to be sure.  Grin.  

thanks again all. I’ll be trying to find the rest of the other components! 

Its nice to have old tools cluttering your bench waiting 5 years or more to be used. I have a seperate bench for that exact purpose 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1