The watch is a front loader.  Crystal is missing and I don't have the original.  I installed a generic crystal but had movement in the movement. Does anyone know what type of crystal I need for this watch?

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5731.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

Is that a flat or curved dial?  Benrus and Hamilton both made GG-W-113 watches using a movement from the ETA 2750 family, but Benrus generally used curved dials while many Hamiltons were flat. Your hands look more like a Benrus model, so I wonder if the dial is a mismatch for the case, which could complicate the fit and seal of the crystal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just serviced one of these….

A different board suggested a Stella 24 1/2 was the ideal replacement so I ordered one on the Ebay but received the wrong one so I refurbished the old one.  I was concerned the replacement wouldn’t secure things- I suspect that’s what you’re thinking as well?

Here’s some pics of the original- to me looks like an ordinary hi dome or something but there isn’t a large edge…

IMG_1167.thumb.jpeg.adb463572d888d3e73009a5e1b56b6c5.jpeg

IMG_1168.thumb.jpeg.66a3ee244f8aa9fae95d57367b1f72a3.jpeg

IMG_1182.thumb.jpeg.12248c5b1d15537c9796fd82f1c96916.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Geotex said:

Is that a flat or curved dial?  Benrus and Hamilton both made GG-W-113 watches using a movement from the ETA 2750 family, but Benrus generally used curved dials while many Hamiltons were flat. Your hands look more like a Benrus model, so I wonder if the dial is a mismatch for the case, which could complicate the fit and seal of the crystal. 

Here’s what mine looked like in the case…

IMG_1155.thumb.jpeg.10bda48f8d9b21bd3ef6617f1e9b092b.jpeg

This one was inherited by the sister of a deceased USAF pilot so definitely all original Hamilton. From your pic your dial does look like it may be curved…

Edited by rehajm
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, markr said:

Movement is marked Hamilton. Dial edge is domed.  I ordered a Stella 24 1/2 crystal.  I'll let you know if it fits.

Your response popped up for me this morning so I went to look for the thread I saw re: the Stella crystals. I didn’t find it but this thread may have some insight on the dial differences and best crystal options…

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/hamilton-gg-w-113-questions.35726/

• Thanks 1

No, no chapter ring. I still wonder about the dial. Does it look like a flat dial would better meet the plane of the crystal base and minimize play as in the photo above from rehajm? You can also see the typical Hamilton dial for this model in this walkthrough:

http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2015/10/1976-gg-w-113-military-watch.html

If you check the very edge of your curved dial, does it have a thin capital "T" printed above the 12? If so, that would be a big clue because it would signify a Benrus dial that was not original to that case.  There is a lot of mixing and matching going on as people have cannabilized military watches in order to put together things to sell, so you wouldn't be the first trying to sort out a frankenwatch...

• Thanks 1

Apologies that the Stella didn’t fit - and also that I didn’t take measurements of the old crystal I polished up and re-used…🙁

Based on your first photo I can see wear around the dial where there was clearly something pressing into the finish- like the ledge on a crystal. 

Looking closely at the numbers like the zero in 10 and the 4 , these are quite different yours and mine.

Here’s the Benrus ‘Bullit’…

IMG_1432.thumb.jpeg.19248c70df0923f93b41d47a916c835f.jpeg

Crystal comes closer to the edge of the hour marker lume. Also no tension ring but a fat lip on the crystal. Maybe look for a deep lip crystal and measure the diameter of the bezel and add a tenth mm or two? 

2 hours ago, Geotex said:

There is a lot of mixing and matching going on as people have cannabilized military watches in order to put together things to sell, so you wouldn't be the first trying to sort out a frankenwatch...

The mixing and matching was very common when these were in the military as well. Could easily be a service watch…

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is a late reply, but I just repaired a 1969 Hamilton GG-W-113 and went through the crystal debacle. I bought 4 crystals from ofrei.com. The crystals I purchased are as follows:

Stella 27 1/4 - "LD" low dome wedge ledge 

Stella WEC 27 1/4 - High dome wedge ledge

Stella 27 - "LD" low dome wedge ledge 

Stella WEC 27 - High dome wedge ledge

I installed the size 27 WEC crystal first but it spun in the case and was just a little to small. I then installed the size 27 1/4 WEC and it worked as intended. No spinning and the height of the dome was good as well. This is for the Hamilton watches with the ONE PIECE CASE design.

Hope this helps, 

Edited by yjstevp
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...