Hello all,

I am fairly new to the watch repairing thing. I wanted to put a new quartz movement into a dead watch. It is the same movement it had in it before. I took off the hands and took out the stem, replaced the movement, reattached the hands, added a new battery, and put the watch back together. The watch is not working at all. Did I do something wrong or miss a step? 

Thank you for any information or advice you have!

Melissa

Hi welcome to the forum.  Can you post pictures of the watch and movement please we like to se what we are at.  Possibilities are battery dead or low voltage, needs to be above 1.3volt on a meter.  The coil may have been damaged check surfactant for bright spots and the contact wires again may have got Broken , visual check. After checking these items come back if you require any more assistance.  If you find the fault let us know.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I really appreciate everyone's advice! Here is the movement in question. I tried to change the dial on it as well and I believe what happened was the hands did not have enough space to move. I took it out of the case and it started to work.

Thanks again!!

IMG_720225C575BB-1.jpeg

Hi when changing movements in watches there are a few things to consider, one being the movement height and canon pinion height plus the physical size of the overall movement. By the sound of it you have a problem with the height.  What is the movement calibre as it looks to be not one of the common ones.  ie. Miyota, Ronda, epson, hattori.  Are there any numbers on the movement. Where are you situated Melissalea. US. Or UK, and where did you source the movement,  not one I immediately. Recognise but then again designs change all the time and it’s 95% plastic.  What did you order and who from. Might sound like being nosey but I like to know all the circumstances.    Cheers.

• Like 1

I live in the U.S. and I bought this movement on Esslinger.com I chose it as it was an exact match for the movement I replaced, but the issue was that I did not consider the height of the glass since that was not the original dial and hands in that case. It is a Hattori movement. I am experimenting so I can learn, but I suppose I changed too many variables in my first try. 

Hi. If thats a Hattori the construction has changed with all the plastic.   Yes if you are changing movement a like that put all the original parts back on a try it out, then if it works move on to the next change verifying each step. Too many variables leads to trouble. But having said that you realised your mistake so that’s a plus point. Well done.

• Like 1