Useful tool from AliExpress

20240121_172143.thumb.jpg.8258a0463663dc72a7d27315d3d3d1ff.jpg

I recently got these jewel counting trays from AliExpress for sorting out the different types of jewels from a bag of assorted jewels from India. 

But I found another use for them. When I disassemble a watch, I usually place them together as a group in my parts organizer tray. Transfering the parts one by one over to the organizer is sometimes a adventure as many a slip can happen along the way. Now I just place this beside the movement, on the microscope table and put the parts durectly in them. When all the parts from the group are in the tray, I just bring it over to my organizer and tip the parts in.

And if you need to photograph the parts from an unfamiliar movement, it offers a nice white background for the shot. (Can anyone recognize where this balance comes from?)

But if you drop the whole tray along the way, then.... 🤣

• Like 2

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi it depends on the watch. The ones with the day date complications  dial dots are not really any good as you have difficulty getting the clearance between day date wheels a the dial.  Dial feet can be fitted no problem, there are several options, the cheapest is to mill out where the foot is and glue a new foot on. ( available fron Cousins UK ) mterialhouse . Or solder on a new foot, only problem with that is you need great care not to mark the dial. I use a DIY. Dial foot machine works no problem.
    • If everything is inside them, then once restored and keeping time the oris could be worth 20 -30 each, I've paid a lot more Oris date pointers in the past. Bought this last week for a quid at a carboot sale. A cute little Smiths made in England alarm clock. The alarm didn’t function properly because the movement wasn't fastened in. But it runs perfectly now, the previous made a bit of a mess of the dial but i still love it. For the Smiths lovers here's  a picture of the inside before i case it up again. Still with it the original Jewellers box.
    • The canon  pinion height must match the one you are removing, the physical size of the movement if it’s the same as the one removed should fit ok. The bogey hole is the height  to maintain clearance from the crystal
    • I’ve come across this sort of problem. The Bergeon universal winders aren’t always universal.    Options are: Track down a movement specific winder Hand wind it Buy a new mainspring - probably the best option in my view.    I’ve been thinking how to invent a winder that uses the actual barrel arbor. Haven’t done it yet…
    • I am just in the middle of sorting out a Seiko Quartz Watch with broken dial feet and have gone with dial dots as the owner does not want to spend too much money on the Watch repair, so just wondered what forum members thought of dial dots in general?. I will advise the owner when I hand it back that dial feet replacement would be the better way if it ever became an issue. Many thanks.   Jon