Balance Regulator Boot Is Loose

38 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

What's the movement? Do you have pics?

Sorry, yes…Universal Geneve 260…

IMG_1278.thumb.jpeg.6fdd0706af38b266612c17f928587312.jpeg

IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.edba183b63368b60862c391b12749d44.jpeg

…I live in a Mac world and Mac doesn’t play nice with the microscope cams so a quick try- the regulator is with the twisty boot style and riveted…

IMG_1296.jpeg.edbd07187db9d63a769c3ea0bf25cb9c.jpeg

…the boot wobbles such that the spring could slip out the bottom. I’m wondering about manipulating the rivet but being so small and delicate…no room for a punch on top, but perhaps inverted on a narrow flat stump with a tap on the bottom of the boot?

...after a service I can tell amplitude is already decent even with the defect but the spring is favoring the inner pin...

Edited by rehajm

Lovely watch.  I have a 267 - similar movement with sweep seconds. (Wish it wasn't radium dial!)

If you know you can source a new part* (where from?), then I guess have a go flattening the rivet. As you say, it's going to be tricky supporting it. 

*I know parts are hard to find for these movements. I managed to trash the hairspring on mine whilst adjusting the overcoil. I waited a long time before I found a replacement.

• Thanks 1