1960s Bucherer 21j ETA 2783 Automatic with Date

Purchased this watch as needing case, strap and clasp refinish (very scratched) plus movement not running.

I wish I had taken pictures when I first opened the caseback re: the movement was literally swimming in oil. I had to clear a space on my bench to clean it since every part i pulled out of the movement left a pool of oil.....I just don't understand how even a casual hobbyist would think submegining a movement in oil could work? Even the hairpspring was soaked....luckily while the dial and hands were also soaked in oil, they cleaned up fine without loss of detail. 

Anyhow following a full cleaning (hand cleaning first in naptha then ultrasonic), reassembly and basic timing went smoothly.

Case, caseback and bracelet where refinished using my new (inexpensive) buffing set up. Am pleased with how I was able to get decent graining on the braclet, case top and caseback while maintaining polished finish on the case sides.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

• Like 3