I'm back from the dead. Gonna try and bring a well cared for bell matic back from the dead too.

I have a Venus 170 in trays awaiting a few replacement parts. I was criticized for calling Mark’s method of leaving screws in the plate Mark’s method 😉 but I do have issue with the thing that shall not be named Mark’s method of leaving the screws in the plate- what to do with the screws what connect the two plates? Turns out these are remarkably similar and with a bit of wear nearly impossible to distinguish. It took too much time but I believe I have them sorted and the replacement for the one that broke off in the plate is on the way…

With simple movements I’ve always kept the screws isolated with their respective parts, then add a snapshot to unique screws like in a plate set. In the future I believe I’ll do the same with chronographs if I should have enough trays 😀

btw, I have not seen an issue with cleanliness leaving screws in the plate. This Venus was quite dirty and rusty but L&R did the trick. 

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rehajm said:

I have a Venus 170 in trays awaiting a few replacement parts. I was criticized for calling Mark’s method of leaving screws in the plate Mark’s method 😉 but I do have issue with the thing that shall not be named Mark’s method of leaving the screws in the plate- what to do with the screws what connect the two plates? Turns out these are remarkably similar and with a bit of wear nearly impossible to distinguish. It took too much time but I believe I have them sorted and the replacement for the one that broke off in the plate is on the way…

With simple movements I’ve always kept the screws isolated with their respective parts, then add a snapshot to unique screws like in a plate set. In the future I believe I’ll do the same with chronographs if I should have enough trays 😀

btw, I have not seen an issue with cleanliness leaving screws in the plate. This Venus was quite dirty and rusty but L&R did the trick. 

Don't think it's right to be criticized. The course information, is just that, information. We interpret various items in our own way and adapt them for ourselves. I certainly have. I have taken on board others members and Youtuber's ideas. Some good, some bad. But hey, it's my choice. 

• Like 2

I agree with Ross 100%, there is no one way pretty much in anything, only what works for us. I would encourage anyone to learn from as many sources as you can and make your own approach and standards for what you are doing.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

I agree with Ross 100%, there is no one way pretty much in anything, only what works for us. I would encourage anyone to learn from as many sources as you can and make your own approach and standards for what you are doing.

Tom

Absolutely Tom, i fly by the seat of my pants in most things i do, this game more so, there is so much to learn. I willingly take on board anything from someone who i think knows more than me on any given subject. But always do i question and like to varify something for myself, thats just the way I'm made. 

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

Tom

Its funny I've been in construction for almost 40 years now, there isn't an aspect of building and refurbishment i dont understand.  New ideas pop up all the time, some work some dont, the old ideas almost always work. I'm also in a builder's forum, some of the advice given there to diyers is absolutely shocking some of it is just downright abuse and insults. When I'm not imparting my hard earned wisdom I'm pulling a bully's pants down, forum etiquette is atrocious in that industry. Watchmaking communities seem to have much more respect for each other, respect each other's thoughts and ideas whether they are agreed upon or not. We all have to find our own way and if thats different then its different as long as it gets us there.

• Like 3

Ok so my cousins package came, the missing alarm ring clip came AND the jewel came but the only thing i'm missing is my mainspring grease which comes later today.  Always love when a new cousins package arrives.
image.thumb.png.099abcdfd72cc4f5363c6aa7617493fb.png

Since i can't service the barrels on the 3 watches on my "bench" i decided to jump in the deep end of fixing the alarm spring who's inner coil is out of shape and can't clutch the arbor. Saw a tutorial from my favorite watchmaking youtuber on how to anneal the mainspring to make it pliable without breaking it and it worked, i think this will be adequate.

image.thumb.png.dd8abaf0b0bdbdcb8dff10cb6ef6f2ea.png
While it doesn't make a full loop, i don't think i could have done that without breaking it the inner coil is considerably tighter than it was and i think once the arbor is in, if i can get it in it will hug it with a good bit of tension. Hopefully. I've heard from 3 people generics do not fit this particular weird arbor and NOS mainspring will be about 50 bucks which i'd like to avoid. 

Next up, i wanted to make it flat as it was quite warped in the inner coils as you can see. I've never tried to flatten a mainspring with most of the twists in the inner coil and it was driving me nuts. Having it flat on my matt there were so many twists it was almost impossible to tell where they were and what wasn't making it flat and everytime i twisted something because it laid on the mat it was adding a twist somewhere else so i decided to try something smarter and made this little setup so i could see it's natural shape without it's own weight throwing anything off.
image.thumb.png.a562cba3bcab092d5c255866026d09c8.png

After wheel spinning for 2 hours the other way without much progress this worked REAL well! That's a pretty flat boy.
image.thumb.png.90760024f5c8b486a2148153b9f22cac.png
If all goes as planned i hope to have her on my wrist by the end of the weekend!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Birddad

Any chance you could show a close up of the arbour on those winders? I have Chinese set, and the holder is part of the arbour left after milling. Do yours extrude? 

If i don't post a pic tomorrow ping me and remind me. Iirc on the chinese winders the arbor hook is brass? On the bergeon ones it's steel.