On 12/15/2023 at 12:30 AM, vadimom said:

Hi All,

Can't figure out how to open this shock assembly.. Looks like possibly from the top, but I can't imagine with what tool - the diameter of the jewel is 1mm. 

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

It looks like two or three pieces. A picture of the rest of the setting in the watch should help to identify it first.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:30 AM, vadimom said:

Hi All,

Can't figure out how to open this shock assembly.. Looks like possibly from the top, but I can't imagine with what tool - the diameter of the jewel is 1mm. 

IMG_3735.jpeg

IMG_3734.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

Look at Monorex which is a two part piece, spring and cap jewel - bal jew setting. Soak in alcohol for a few hours and then give if a jiggle in an ultrasonic. 

The wings make me think that the brass colored part is what holds the cap jewel onto the silver colored chaton for the hole jewel.

If I had to guess, I'd say they're just stuck together from old lubricant. A good soak in hairspring dip or your favorite cleaning solution should let you tease them apart with tweezers and pegwood.

Amateur tip: do it in your benzene jar while they're in the cleaner so they don't fly all over your desk.

Also, I took a look at the pictures in this thread, and this guy looks the closest to yours.

image.png.66a82a04ab19aa3ee1f3c6dfd37380e2.png

• Like 1