Elgin 647 crown wheel screw--left handed or right handed

probably left-handed as they almost always are. Unfortunately almost always. usually with something like this I use a little screw loosening fluid found at the link below.

then because the hole for the screw usually goes all the way through the plate you can place the fluid on the backside in addition to the front side. Usually this stuff works relatively fast but occasionally I left it overnight. Worst-case is you just clean it without there and providing it can turn use some HP 1300 credit will flow down and hopefully lubricates. More than likely the reason that super tightest is somebody didn't know which way to turn it but that makes you then wonder if it's a right-handed screw? Oh you might billet tell by looking at the threads on the backside as to which direction if you can see them.

http://www.julesborel.com/products/tools-lubricating-greases/Screw-Loosening-Flluid

https://westernoptical.com/products/screw-loosening-fluid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

If you zoom in to my picture, you will notice a jewel missing on the sweep second cock.

It is a 28-90 I think.  Might be a challenge to find.

one of the problems with Elgin parts is revision of parts book and how they do things. In the old days the parts book would have pictures then in the 40s or 50s they have a huge parts book with no pictures at all just lots of part numbers still very useful but no pictures

then the next generation of parts book blue in color. Is a very interesting book some of the calibers have their own page with no part numbers just tells you whether that part is unique to that watch or what its base caliber's. Then others get lumped in like the next category where all the parts are listed individually and then you can look and see if yours cross references to anything. So your unset jewel cross-references to caliber 532. But we don't get a part number

image.png.f4189ef27b7f483b168d07af2c0e14f5.png

oh we could go and look at my favorite part site and find out that we don't get a part number either in fact we get almost nothing

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=ELG_647

now the reason for all this peculiarity is just the way Elgin did things but if you worked in a material house you would know that Elgin did have part numbers but the only people would ever see those part numbers are people access to the parts card index for instance the parts for yours will look like this

image.thumb.png.2bfac0e0c91c20b100ad33a1af31551e.png

now we go back to the website now that we know it's a 532 caliber and surprise it's been discontinued. But unlike the website we do have the image up above work does cross reference to other calibers may be to find one of those to steal a jewel from or who knows maybe the parts on eBay cheerleader almost everything shows up on eBay.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=ELG_532

• Like 1