Poljot 3133 Resurrection

I'd call it a restoration, but right now it's pretty much a cadaver. I picked up the watch from eBay (which just today I realized was "bee" in pig Latin 😉 ) and stuck it in a drawer. A couple of days ago I had finished up another project and for some reason this one said "Hey, I want some attention, too." So I did a cursory inspection and decided to give it a go. 

Cosmetically the case is really worn where good portions of the plating are completely gone, but the case in general isn't in too banged up.

2020_0827_082851_004.thumb.JPG.7f27ea88840b1290e7adb1586f9b02b2.JPG

2020_0827_083309_007.thumb.JPG.df8f69ff0f8edc44814eacdaefaa26f0.JPG

At least one pusher is a replacement which would probably account for the problem we'll get to internally. The Dial itself is in really good shape even if the hands are very dirty with broken lume. 

Once the movement was out of the case I discovered three problems. One was a broken part and two others were completely missing.

3133project.thumb.jpg.61bc53261c991ad87881f3a2f12423c0.jpg

My guess is this was someone else's project watch which they tried to sell for parts after they broke the operating lever tab with the wrong pusher setup.  Two other things I discovered as I stripped it down was that most of the screw heads were mangled, marked or gouged and the whole drive train was swimming in oil. The keyless works in particular was so dirty that i had to put a piece of tissue down to keep the bench from being stained. Yuk. 

2020_0827_101707_054.thumb.JPG.552501469170507b78ef710a55be9fa2.JPG

Oh, and I did get the watch to run after cleaning some of the oil off the hairspring with a one dip bath. It's going to need more work.

Right now new parts are ordered, including a new mainspring. The old one is rather "unflat". I will definitely give all the parts a good pre-cleaning just to get the puddles of oil of them.

I have a Poljot Blue Angels 3133. I assume you know it's a copy of the Valjoux 7734 (I believe they bought the old tools from the Swiss).

Endeavour does a nice walkthrough here 

And the Valjoux technical guide is useful

Valjoux-7733-7734-7736-technical-communication-service-manual-EBAUCHES-SA.pdf

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Mikepilk. Thank you for the download. I have a Breitling Top Time, using a Valjoux 7730 movement. Another 2 years of self imposed apprenticeship before I tackle it. I could probably do it now, but I want to do it properly.

You probably could do it now Ross, but you are doing the right thing by waiting. Especially for such a nice watch.

I started on pocket watches, then manual wind wrist watches, automatic movements, and finally alarm watches (Seiko Bell matic are good practice)  before finally a Chronograph, many years later.

Edited by mikepilk
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikepilk said:

I assume you know it's a copy of the Valjoux 7734

Sure do, although I doubt the parts would be interchangeable. Right now it's on the back of the bench waiting for the replacement parts to arrive. Considering they are coming from Poland, Ukraine and Germany, it might be closer to Thanksgiving when I move forward with this. I guess I could start to clean the case. I haven't decided if I want to get it replated or not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Personally I would salvage the missing screws from some donor movement.  I also bought a random selection of screws "Assortment of Stainless Steel Watch Screws" for next to nothing.  As for using an Alum solution - I had great success with that removing a rusted stem from a stainless steel crown.  The best piece of advice I read on doing that was to keep the solution warm so that the reaction didn't take weeks!  I did it in a couple of hours with the solution in jam jar and the jam jar in a saucepan full of water which I left on an induction hob maintaining about 60C in the Alum solution.
    • I decided that it was time to tackle the piece that I'd set aside as my first project. The subject in question is a Gruen Veri-Thin pocket watch.  It winds and "runs".  On the time grapher, it has reasonable amplitude (240 or so depending on the position), but was loosing close to a minute a day.  The stem also has the annoying tendency to just come out when pulled, which makes it super hard to set the thing.  As with many things this one started sideways and just got more so.  I was able to overcome the mangled "tab" on the back case cover (a well placed, very sharp knife enabled me to get in when I couldn't get a purchase on the mangled tab with a case knife.)   I was then sort of shocked to find that one side of the dial was held down with some sort off tape or adhesive material as someone had broken the dial foot screw on that side and left the broken screw in the mail plate. The loose stem does in fact seem to have been a poorly tightened setting lever screw, but I'm afraid there may still be gremlins in the keyless works.  While I was able to get the stem to stay in by putting everything in the right place and tightening the setting lever screw (before I took it all apart for cleaning and inspection), it just didn't seem to all sit right. The final gremlin showed up when I was taking off the lower cap stones for the balance and escape wheel (yes the Gruen 380 seems to have a cape jewel on the escape wheel).  The balance stone came off fine (but that in fact is the smallest screw I've ever seen.  When I turned the movement around to get the one off the escape wheel setting, I found that the screw head had been mostly sheared off.  After some reading and looking at what I had, I decided to try and tease what was left of the screw out of the hole by nudging what was left with the corner of my smallest screwdriver.  After 20 minutes or so, I was able to get the remains of that screw out. The picture I'm including of the disassembled movement was taken before I got the second cap stone off, so in the picture, it's still attached to the main plate (for those looking carefully, you'll only see the one cap setting in the pic.) Now I'm left with: A broken dial screw inside the main plate that needs to come out A broken cap stone retention screw that I have in my parts tray, but that is strictly useless and needs to be replaced. The need to get another dial foot screw I'm contemplating solving the first problem by soaking the main plate in an alum solution.  I think the main plate is brass and shouldn't be affected, but I have not been able to confirm.  This seems like the easiest option as I can't really access both sides of the screw to use the pricey Bergeon tool (which I don't fancy buying unless I have to.) I have located a couple of donor movements and have questions out about whether or not the include the dial foot screw and prompting for pictures of the dial side so  evaluate the cap stone settings.  I've also found that a supplier in this country does have the cap stone settings, but isn't overly clear about whether the screws are included. Are these the types of things that one can scavenge out of assortments or is it best to just grab one of the donors assuming that they look like they have what I need?  
    • I visited this place last year just before they closed their counter service - amazing shop (filled from floor to ceiling!) and the guy that was working there was really knowledgeable and helpful!. Their website isn't as good as Cousins but I understand that if you fill out the contact form they have stuff that isn't on the site. https://gleave.london/mineral-flat-bottom-domed/
    • As always in this game the answer is “it depends “ because the first one worked out ok doesn’t mean all will. A case could be made in a way that it would not really matter much, sounds like your first example. However a case could also be made so that only a tension armoured crystal could be used. Generally you replace like for like to maintain the integrity of the watch.   Tom