Seiko 5106A with broken screw

I just picked up a Seiko Pressmatic using the 5106A movement as a project restoration.

Unfortunately the oscillating weight screw head was snapped off upon receipt and the post is stuck in the Barrel and Train Wheel Bridge.

Can’t use a screw extractor because the screw hole doesn’t go all the way through the bridge.

spent hours trying to coax the post out of the screw hole with all manor of sharp things (xacto blades, hairspring tweezers, .5mm micro drill bits). Even tried to super glue a pin head but no luck.

Been trying to find an affordable donor movement on eBay with no luck and I can’t seem to find a NOS replacement part anywhere.  

any suggestions?

thanks

2 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

Hi there,

Can we see a picture? There is allways a way to rid off a broken screw...

IMG_1797.thumb.jpeg.0f745b7bb94ee100303385541bf56d66.jpeghere it is. Broken screw normally attached the oscillating weight. Unfortunately the hole does not go through. I tried using my expensive but useless horotec screw extractor and only ended up ruining the tip of the extractor bit 😞

image.jpg

Actually, the hole goes thru, but there is stone on the other side. 

The broken piece of the screw (ahd the stone) is in a separate bush that can be pushed down out of the bridge. I will advice to do this and deep the bush in some etching solution, e.g. 10% H2SO4, for several hours until the piece is etched.

Or, use 0.15mm cutting disk and Dremel (like) tool to cut a slot in the piece, then unscrew it by small screw driver. The disk will cut a little in the bush too, but it will not be a problem. But, if the 'super' glue has got in the thread, beter do the etching

I've tried everything. I can get the screw bit to turn slightly but then it hangs. I tried drilling a hole in it to get better leverage, but the bit broke (.5mm so very fragile). 

I'm on the hunt for a donor movement at this point--the watch has some value and even if I end up putting 50% more of the original cost into it, it should still be worth it (the case and dial are in very good shape).

What is frutrating, besides the obvious, is that I purchased this from a retired watchmaker who was selling off what remained of his stuff.  He claimed he thought all that was wrong was a broken mainspring (the mainspring is fine). My guess is he knew what was up and just wanted to unload the piece on an unsuspecting hobbyist.....

Edited by Levine98
added text

1 hour ago, nevenbekriev said:

The broken piece of the screw (ahd the stone) is in a separate bush that can be pushed down out of the bridge. I will advice to do this and deep the bush in some etching solution, e.g. 10% H2SO4, for several hours until the piece is etched.

Or, use 0.15mm cutting disk and Dremel (like) tool to cut a slot in the piece, then unscrew it by small screw driver. The disk will cut a little in the bush too, but it will not be a problem. But, if the 'super' glue has got in the thread, beter do the etching

Hi,

im not clear what you mean about pushing the screw down? The bushing (the part with the threading for the screw) is part of the bridge? I’m probably missing something. Do you mean pull the jewel out and attack the screw from underneath? 

4 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

You could try an overnight soak in Coke. As a last resort, dissolving the screw with alum could also be an option.

What does soaking the screw in Coke supposed to do?

3 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

So I figured out what you were saying and pushed the bushing out. However the jewel is still on the other end? So I’m not very clear how this helps?

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

It contains phosphoric acid, it gently eats away whatever is binding the screw. 

I’ll be dammed—it seemed to work. I soaked it about 3 hours and then was able to turn the post until it came out! 

probably the first can of Coke live ever purchased but won’t be my last!

thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Levine98 said:

I’ll be dammed—it seemed to work. I soaked it about 3 hours and then was able to turn the post until it came out! 

probably the first can of Coke live ever purchased but won’t be my last!

How is hector to find this out, being a dentist his house is Cokeless zone. 

Levine, check bergeon tool 30209. 

Rgds

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Levine98 said:
6 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

Expand  

So I figured out what you were saying and pushed the bushing out. However the jewel is still on the other end? So I’m not very clear how this helps?

4 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

It contains phosphoric acid, it gently eats away whatever is binding the screw. 

I’ll be dammed—it seemed to work.

Yay! Another win for Joe's Magic Rust Dissolving Solution. It's so safe that you can even drink it.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

How is hector to find this out, being a dentist his house is Cokeless zone. 

You're wrong Joe. There's half a litre of Diet Coke in my fridge right now. Guess where the other half went. 😏 

It was so hot yesterday that I had to get a bottle of Coke. Actually my preference is for Pepsi but the convenience store didn't have any.

I have to be the worst example of a dentist. I've been a soft drink addict since secondary school. I still eat sweets, love M&Ms, Mars and Snickers.

The "healthy stuff" like fruit juice, sports drinks and apple cider vinegar are far more damaging to the teeth than carbonated drinks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

@HectorLooi   is there a condition as  hidden diablities?   I mean can one be diabetic and his blood test not show it. 

Knowing suger is a poison, I too drink diet coke,  but make sure to supplement my diet with sweets. 😩

Hmmm... are you worried that your blood sugar levels are normally high but because you fasted overnight, your sugar levels drop to normal and don't show it? 

Well, you can ask your doctor to do a Hba1c test which will show the average glucose level over the past 3 months. This test will show up the blood glucose levels when you are not fasting. It is a good test for catching diabetic patients who fast and watch their diet a few days before their blood test but at other times binge on sugar like there is no tomorrow. 

Many of us think that diabetes is genetic, ie. if your parents and siblings are diabetic, you are likely to be diabetic. Well, many years ago a professor told us at a lecture that is not true. He said that if you are diabetic, don't blame your parents. It's entirely your fault.

But honestly, there is so much that doctors don't know about so many things. Like why some people who don't exercise and eat all the sugar and all the junk food they like, yet have a healthy glucose and cholesterol level. While another who lives a seemingly healthy lifestyle has diabetes and a heart condition.

I ask that question everyday and just thank God for everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1