Chinese mainspring winders interchangeably

SergioRJ

On 9/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, SergioRJ said:

Ex. 8200 one can wind a Seiko 7009.

Well, if it can wind a 7009, then it can wind all 70xx (7005, 7006, etc) and also the 7S26 and 7S36 at least.

For the Seiko 66 and 6602 I use the same Bergeon winder that for the 70xx, but it is almost too big, so if the chinese 8200 is exactly or smaller than the Bergeon #6 then it will probably work, if it's a bit bigger then it won't.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:33 AM, Kalanag said:

I thought it might be helpfull and answer your question at least partially.

Thank you friend, but that spreadsheet does not show which others calibers mainsprings the winder can wind in addition to the one specified. 

On 9/17/2023 at 7:32 AM, aac58 said:

Well, if it can wind a 7009, then it can wind all 70xx (7005, 7006, etc) and also the 7S26 and 7S36 at least.

For the Seiko 66 and 6602 I use the same Bergeon winder that for the 70xx, but it is almost too big, so if the chinese 8200 is exactly or smaller than the Bergeon #6 then it will probably work, if it's a bit bigger then it won't.

Good to know that! 
I’ve ordered Bergeon 5,6&7 in order to solve the problem of the thin axes of Chinese ones. 

Edited by SergioRJ

2 hours ago, SergioRJ said:

Thank you friend, but that spreadsheet does not show which others calibers mainsprings the winder can wind in addition to the one specified. 

Good to know that! 
I’ve ordered Bergeon 5,6&7 in order to solve the problem of the thin axes of Chinese ones. 

The caliber could be considered irrelevant as long as the winder fits the mainspring barrel and the winder arbor fits the inside of the mainspring correctly. There is no standard or easy interchange in this.

Tom

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

The caliber could be considered irrelevant as long as the winder fits the mainspring barrel and the winder arbor fits the inside of the mainspring correctly. There is no standard or easy interchange in this.

Tom

Yes, Tom I know, that’s why I wondered if there’s any kind of interaction between Bergeon and Chinese ones…in terms of barril yes but the Chinese arbors are too thin to fit 

2 hours ago, SergioRJ said:

Yes, Tom I know, that’s why I wondered if there’s any kind of interaction between Bergeon and Chinese ones…in terms of barril yes but the Chinese arbors are too thin to fit 

As far as I am aware the Chinese ones are copies of the bergeon specific caliber winders. Bergeon do make general and specific mainspring winders, perhaps that causes a bit of confusion all around.

Tom

That's the problem with the Chinese sets, they are caliber specific.  I wish they would copy the generic Bergeon winders.  When I found a barrel that would work, it would not fit the needed arbor size crank.  My solution was to modify some of the Chinese winders to make them equivalent to some of the Bergeon generic winders, by drilling out the barrels to accept larger arbors.  Still, I was missing some larger arbors.  So, I bought the Bergeon #6 and #8 arbor cranks (far cheaper than buying the barrel and arbor combo).  That gave me arbors of 3.0 mm and 3.5 mm, respectively.  Then I drilled out some brass washers to use when I need a right hand wound spring but only have a left hand arbor (or vice versa). So, far my modified winders are working for what I need and I spent far less than for a Bergeon generic set.

20230722_232615.jpg

Edited by gpraceman